What versions of avi will play on my dvd player

electroken

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
Hello, I have perviously updated my dvd player in order to play avi and mp4 files on it I have copied to a blank dvd. There was no issue for about a year, but now the avi files sometimes are not playable again. I know it is a codec change in the avi format or structure but it is really frustrating. There seems to be no way to tell which avi or mp4 file I get is going to be able to play on the dvd player until I actually burn the files to a blank disk.
I am looking for a way to identify which avi files will or will not play on the dvd player.
Is there any program I can run on my computer to tell me the compatibility of individual files?

badge

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
.avi files are just that .avi formatted files. A multimedia DVD player is not programmed to play .avi files. The software you use is. Be sure the software has the codec to play .avi files.

Free media players like these have the necessary codec for .avi files.

http://vlc-media-player.en.softonic.com/

http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Media-Player.aspx

electroken

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
I think you are not understanding what dvd player I am referring to here. It is my standalone Phillips DVP3982/37 purchased from Walmart a little over a year ago. This is a problem with the player's codec or its firmware I am sure and they all will play on my computer using VLC player.

badge

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
Some of the older standalone DVD players do not play .avi at all. I'm sure the basic players out there today do not. I don't suppose a file converter software is capable of converting the .avi files you have to anything more compatible to your Phillips player.

electroken

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
Yes I know but avi files are a form of DivX and it will do those. In fact most of my avi and Mp2 and Mpeg and Mp4 files do play as well as most WMV etc. But some of my avi and mp4 do not play and I am trying to figure out how to tell which of them will and wont play before I burn a dvd of them. I play .avi movies all the time on it., but for some reason a few of them have the player tell me format is not supported. Iam sure there must be differences but how to tell what they are?

G

This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Applications by Grumpy9117

BracGypsy

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011

electroken: {Try using a program called "MPEG4Modifier" for compatibility issues with AVI files.} {Read below what I wrote about it}

I have a bit of information that is working very well for me. I bought a DVD player named "GO-TECH" it plays a lot of different files including the one called "AVI". I also found that sometimes there is an old codac that some AVI files have. So to help this:

I found a little program that adds a newer codac to the AVI files with what I think is a "codec change". The AVI movie file will play on Go-Tech Video player if you use this little program. It is so simple to use, and can modify an AVI file with the newer codacs to play on the Go-Tech DVD player. It modifies the older codec change to the newer codec change under 45 to 60 seconds a AVI file, {700mb} or larger . This little program is called "MPEG4Modifier". Most AVI movie files already have the newer codac, but some are still being converted using an older version of converters.

Also I would like to add that the Go-Tech has a USB port, you can download your AVI movies right too your Thumb drives, or external drives, and plug your drives right into your USB ports on your Go-Tech DVD player and the movies play great.

Also Go-tech will play CD+G files, which are Karaoke files. I have also played CD's loaded with jpg's and other file photo's, and music. Go-Tech DVD player has played for me many different file formats. I'll try to name you guys a few file formats that I remember it plays. AVI, MP3, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, jpg, jif, CD+G's. There maybe a few more, I don't know about but the ones I named above I know for sure G0-TECH will play. I would like to add that I burn most all my good AVI file movies using {ImgBURN} I sometime can add up too 5 movies on one DVD-R disk. I have burned 100's of AVI movies using UmgBurn, it's fast and sweet... Hope all this helps you guys!

Have a good day!

Bracgypsy........ AKA.... Linda. :hello:

BracGypsy

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011

electroken:
I guess I should have' at least given you the site where to download "MPEG4Modifier" http://moitah.net/ When you run the program, a little box pops up. IF the AVI file is already a Packed Bitstream' saying {YES} then the AVI movie file is good, if it gives you an option to put a check in a box to pack the bit stream, then check the box {YES}. The rest of this little program is all set, nothing else needs to be changed. Just the Bit Stream.

:) Hope this helps.

BracGypsy.... aka, Linda

jaypek

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
Amazing! I was having major probs getting the newer large avi files to play on my DVD player after burning them in the usual fashion. After some online reading...I came to realize that the larger files were the problem. Then you directed me to MPEG4 Modifier and after packing the file it now works fine! I prefer the larger avi file sizes as they seem to play with greater resolution and sharpness. Thx!!

nikorr

Distinguished

Hey jaypek,

This is old thread, if u want to have more info and ideas on the topic, just open new thread. That would be the best way to get latest info.