What's the Best Resolution for 40" Flatscreen?

Alyus

Honorable
Feb 10, 2012
I'm looking to buy a flat screen for my entertainment room. I'll be sitting round 5-7' away from it. And is Smart TV a waste of cash?

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
If you want something other than 1080p that's as big as 40", you're looking at thousands of dollars, most likely. Are you interested in spending that kind of money?

Also, it rather depends on what you're doing with it. We have a 65" 1080p smart TV which we have hooked up to our HTPC. We sit about 8' away from it, and while 1080p video content looks astonishingly high-detail, things like fonts and web pages are a struggle to read without zooming quite a bit with Ctrl +

Sitting 3-5' from a 40" screen sounds somewhat cramped unless it's actually a computer screen. If you're using it as a computer more than you're using it for video, then you'll definitely want to consider 1440p or 4k.

As far as the smart TV is concerned, hooking up a smart TV to a HTPC is a waste of money. If you don't have an HTPC, then maybe it's a good investment.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
40" 1080p @ 3 feet away sucks! You need 4k for this.
but...
Y do U sit 3 feet away from a 40" screen?
How old r u anyway?
If you are sitting about 3 feet away, you will like 24" with at least 1080p or 1200p or 27" with at least 1440p.
But ask your parent before you buy a monitor/TV, I do not think you are old enough to buy things on your own.
and...please leave the forum I also suspect that you are not old enough to post anything in this forum.

Alyus

Honorable
Feb 10, 2012

I like the immersion; that's why I also prefer 21:9 over 16:9. I'm not most people.

"Should I Sit Closer?

Oh my yes. The ability to get up close to the screen without the image breaking down is one of the most intoxicating things about 4K. Sitting closer allows the same sized screen to fill more of your visual field, which yields greater immersion. The up-close factor is one of the reasons 4K computer monitors have become one of the technology's fastest growing sectors. 4K monitors remain pin-sharp even when you're just a foot or two from the screen, as you are when you're sitting at your desk."

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/television/ultra-hd-everything-you-need-to-know-about-4k-tv-1048954

Alyus

Honorable
Feb 10, 2012

The more options the better. If there are "kids" who want to sit up close the option is there.

4K is good for large screens - > 55in. But unwarranted below 55in.

TVs don't seem to be available in 1440p. Which would be good for 40 to 55in.

I'm happy with our 55in 1080p. But I sit on the couch - probably 8 to 10 ft away.

If you're going to sit with your nose nearly pressed to the screen then you should get 4K.

Alyus

Honorable
Feb 10, 2012

Check out this kid who likes to sit 18" away from a 39" 4K monitor. Apparently he is affected with progeria disease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o553bTyFElQ

We can eliminate that this large kid with a voice of a 40 year old will not sit 8' to 10' feet away from this 39" monitor. He's going to die of old age anyways very soon so he might as well go out enjoying all the details of an action movie.

OK. I hope your eyes last the journey. 4K aint that expensive nowadays. You can even get a big 60in. And a smart TV is the way to go. Its also a bit of fun hooking up a PC. I use Plex to watch movies off my PC via the router. Plex is free - the price is right.

Enjoy.

Alyus

Honorable
Feb 10, 2012
Good thing they do have wireless keyboards just in case you plan to purchase a 40" or higher monitor so you can sit 5' away from it. We wouldn't want you to die from watching an action movie because of all the immersion from sitting too close to the monitor do we?