When HDMI is plugged in, built-in speakers work, but headphones do not

Aug 26, 2018
I have a Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga with Windows 8.1. When an HDMI cable is plugged in, the sound is gone at first. When I set the speakers to default in the Sound menu, it comes back. However, only the laptop's built-in speakers work; when I try to plug headphones into the 3.5mm jack, there is no sound again. What else can I do except for changing the default sound device?

That is rather odd. It sounds like when you connect that HDMI cable it is overtaking the speakers. Not shocking. And if that is the case, then the only way to get the speakers to work again, while it is connected, would be to do exactly what you did.

To get headphones to work, while that is connected still, would require the same thing. Going into "Control Panel".. "Sound".. "Playback" tab and choosing the headphones as the default when they are plugged in.

That is rather odd. It sounds like when you connect that HDMI cable it is overtaking the speakers. Not shocking. And if that is the case, then the only way to get the speakers to work again, while it is connected, would be to do exactly what you did.

To get headphones to work, while that is connected still, would require the same thing. Going into "Control Panel".. "Sound".. "Playback" tab and choosing the headphones as the default when they are plugged in.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 5
G Laptop Tech Support 1
L Laptop Tech Support 8
T Laptop Tech Support 2
Levimolnar Laptop Tech Support 0
Vladimira Laptop Tech Support 3
L Laptop Tech Support 0
A Laptop Tech Support 0
CptBaas Laptop Tech Support 0
A Laptop Tech Support 1