tyfferegle

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
Hello everyone!
When I was in high school, I used an HP ProBook 4330 s. This computer has no physical damage to it, so I figured I would upgrade it and use it for some reasearch and document editing.
Now, I installed an E-sata Samsung 840 PRO SSD with a capacity of 120 gig. This is more than enough storage space for me, as I'm going to be using this computer mainly for editing word documents and searching the web.

To the problem then;
When I install Windows 8.1 from a disc in a portable CD-rom, everything runs along just fine.
I format the SSD, and create a new drive out of the unallocated space.
I chose this as my windows installation directory, and press on with the installation.
Up to the point where everything is completed and the computer presss for a reboot, everything runs fine. Then, when it is done rebooting and starts preparing devices it crashes at about 26 %.
Reboots by itself, and when it comes back to life it looks like everything is fine, up until the windows logo flashes and the wheel starts spinning a second time, then a message appears:
"The computer restarted unexpectedly or ecountered unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, Click OK to restart the computer, and then restart the installation.

What I've tried doing:
- Removing the Wireless LAN card cables.
- BootRec/RebuildBcd
- Reinnstallting about 8 times
- Installing with the battery disconnected

Any help would be extremely appreciated, as I would really like to have this laptop up and running as soon as possible.

Best regards
Even from Norway.

Solution
Somehow '4 enable Safe Mode' worked and I was able to boot Win 8.1 while the WiFi card was in the PC. I think I succeeded in that after having removed the card once and at that time having also installed the drivers for the wifi card, which didn't really seem to install successfully, but luckily once I put the card back in the PC and tried to boot Win8.1 in safe mode, it worked and I was able to point the wifi card [in Device Manager] to the right driver. Beware, go to Device Manager then to the properties of the WiFi card, then under Driver - 'Update Driver', then 'Browse my computer for driver software', then the bottom option 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer', then checkmark on 'Show compatible hardware' then...

tyfferegle

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013

Thanks for replying!
However, the thing is that I wiped the SSD between every time I tired to install Windows over again. This does clear all the previous drivers, so I do not think that could be the problem.
Any other suggestions?

soewhaty

Estimable
Apr 1, 2014
have the same issue ... any response???

it is 100% the wireless module

this here - http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-1853792/fix-irql-equal-error-installing-windows-1preview-fix.html

describes the workaround, but however, when I later on do insert the wireless card then Windows gives the same error message and won't let me enter the desktop environment and thus I cannot install the correct drivers. Otherwise, when I unplug the wireless card I do get access to the desktop environment, but that, as I said, is with the card unplugged. So having it unplugged means that I cannot install the proper drivers for it. And when I plug it, Windows won't boot! What a dilemma??? The story behind my issue is that I had the Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 wifi card, but since it is not dual band I decided to upgrade it to the Ralink RT3592 and so the 'Ralink RT3592' is obviously the culprit now with win 8.1.

PS
I did try all these options that Win 8.1 gives, but no results :(
1 enable debugging
2 enable boot logging
3 enable low-res video
4 enable Safe Mode
5 enable Safe Mode with networking
6 enable Safe Mode with CMD
7 DISABLE DRIVER SIGNATURE ENFORCEMEN (HAD HIGH HOPES OF THIS ONE, BUT ... :( )
8 disable early launch anti-malware protection
9 disable auto restart after failure

The only thing that allowed me access Win 8.1 was having the wifi module removed. Perhaps it's worth mentioning that I too have Win 7 installed on the same SSD but just on a separate partition and Win7 had no problems with the wifi module at all.

soewhaty

Estimable
Apr 1, 2014
Somehow '4 enable Safe Mode' worked and I was able to boot Win 8.1 while the WiFi card was in the PC. I think I succeeded in that after having removed the card once and at that time having also installed the drivers for the wifi card, which didn't really seem to install successfully, but luckily once I put the card back in the PC and tried to boot Win8.1 in safe mode, it worked and I was able to point the wifi card [in Device Manager] to the right driver. Beware, go to Device Manager then to the properties of the WiFi card, then under Driver - 'Update Driver', then 'Browse my computer for driver software', then the bottom option 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer', then checkmark on 'Show compatible hardware' then try out the available drivers there. That's what worked for me. Hope it works for you too!

Solution

999KG999

Estimable
Mar 7, 2015
Thanks, soewhaty, you really made my day! I had the same problem and spent several days fiddling around before I found your answer here. I'd like to add the procedure I ended up with:
- Download all the newest 8.1 drivers from the manufacturer and keep them ready
- Make a bootable USB-drive and use it to boot ("clean install")
- Install Windows 8.1 until blue screen appears
- Disable wifi-card in BIOS (not necessary to unplug the card physically)
- Reboot and finish Windows install
- Install the 8.1 drivers (some of them will return an error message because hardware not found)
- Connect the computer to internet using a network cable
- Install all available updates from Windows update
- Restart computer and enable wifi-card in BIOS
- Now it should be working fine. I think there is a fix in one of the Windows updates that makes Windows recognise the wifi-card correctly. If not, you may try safe mode as described by soewhaty.

Mar 8, 2015
I think it's the ssd cause i got the exact same ssd and win8 worked fine but then it began auto-opdating to win8.1 and i got that error message. And some time later i finally get it to boot up windows and it then i found out that when u get win 8.1 it corrupts your windows files on that ssd. (Sorry if i spelled something wrong not that good of a phone typer :p)

soewhaty

Estimable
Apr 1, 2014
To my knowledge it is very likely not to be the SSD that is the culprit. However, careful cos there are lots of ppl out there nowadays having issues with a certain Samsung SSD, which is another discussion altogether. And Win8.1 is somewhat not too great on its own either. Just a tad too many issues with it. MS know that that's why they're quick to release Win 10. I am personally awaiting Win10 to come out finally with loads of excitement.