When is a ThinkPad W541 Overkill...?

deusmalleos

Estimable
Sep 3, 2015
I'm a web designer/developer (own my own small company). I use Photoshop and Illustrator CC daily. I'm starting to build mobile apps and will be getting into more software development over the next few months. I'm looking at purchasing a maxed out ThinkPad W541 (Intel Core i7-4940MX Processor Extreme Edition, NVIDIA Quadro K2100M 2G). I'll be adding 32GB of RAM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231772&cm_re=laptop_ram_ddr3-_-20-231-772-_-Product) and a 500GB SSD (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147373&cm_re=ssd_hdd-_-20-147-373-_-Product).

My question is this: Is this just complete overkill for what I'll be using it for? I definitely want/need support for at least 3 monitors. That is one reason I'm leaning towards a ThinkPad. I've used ThinkPads in the past and they've always been bulletproof.

Any thoughts/advice are appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
Hello deusmalleos

That configuration would definitely be more than enough even if you go with resource intensive development platforms such as Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 or Microsoft SQL Server 2016.

You may run out of resources only if you use your computer as a terminal server running the above applications whilst allowing multiple remote connections (RDP) to the PC and sharing those applications with the remote users.

Hope this helps. :)

Feel free to come back if more assistance or information is needed.

Good Luck!!
Hello deusmalleos

That configuration would definitely be more than enough even if you go with resource intensive development platforms such as Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 or Microsoft SQL Server 2016.

You may run out of resources only if you use your computer as a terminal server running the above applications whilst allowing multiple remote connections (RDP) to the PC and sharing those applications with the remote users.

Hope this helps. :)

Feel free to come back if more assistance or information is needed.

Good Luck!!

Solution