When my laptop is connected to a power outlet my mic produces a constant static noise.

Armyboy941

Estimable
May 5, 2015
Recently I noticed that whenever I plug my Lenovo y510 charger into my laptop my mic would produce a type of crinkling noise that sounds like my mic is being rubbed against tin foil. When I would unplug the charger from my laptop the static noise would vanish and the mic would go back to normal. What is going on with the laptop that is causing the noise and how can I fix it? I did try multiple mics from different brands and even bought a USB stereo adapter in hopes of fixing the issue but to no avail. Any help is appreciated.

Solution
Hello Armyboy941

May be there is improper grounding with the power outlet where you are plugging your laptop. Did you try using a different power outlet at a different place (may be at your friend's house or any other premises)?

If the static noise is still audible, you can try the following:

Step 1 - Assuming that you are using Windows 7, right-click the speaker icon from the System Tray (at the bottom-right corner).

Step 2 - From the context menu, click Recording devices.

Step 3 - On the Recording tab of the Sound box, click to select the icon representing the microphone that you are currently using.

Step 4 - Click the Properties button from the bottom-right corner of the box.

Step 5 - On the microphone...
Hello Armyboy941

May be there is improper grounding with the power outlet where you are plugging your laptop. Did you try using a different power outlet at a different place (may be at your friend's house or any other premises)?

If the static noise is still audible, you can try the following:

Step 1 - Assuming that you are using Windows 7, right-click the speaker icon from the System Tray (at the bottom-right corner).

Step 2 - From the context menu, click Recording devices.

Step 3 - On the Recording tab of the Sound box, click to select the icon representing the microphone that you are currently using.

Step 4 - Click the Properties button from the bottom-right corner of the box.

Step 5 - On the microphone properties box, go to the Levels tab.

Step 6 - Reduce the Microphone Boost slider bar to minimum.

Step 7 - Go to the Enhancements tab if it is available. (In some cases, you may not see the Enhancement tab and in such situations you can skip directly to Step 9.)

Step 8 - Check the Immediate mode checkbox and then check all the checkboxes in the list.

Step 9 - Now go to the Advanced tab.

Step 10 - Ensure that both the checkboxes in the Exclusive Mode section are checked. If not, check them manually.

Step 11 - Here you may need to select each option from the drop-down list individually one at a time, click Apply to check the result, and pick the best option that resolves the problem.

Step 11 - Finally click OK from the bottom of the box.

If the above solutions fail to work, you can borrow a charger from any of your friends or colleagues and check if it is the charger that is faulty.

If everything fails, it seems it is time when your laptop should be diagnosed by the professionals at an authorized service center.

Good Luck!! :)

Solution