che2487

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013
Hey all,

I am looking to buy a laptop. Let me know if you guys want any information that isn't in the below questions. I will be setting it up (when at home) on a cooling pad, connected via HDMI to a 24" 1080p Monitor for a dual monitor set up.

1_What is your budget? ~$1500

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 14-17 inch

3_What screen resolution do you want? 1080p

4_Do you need a portable or Desktop replacement laptop? Desktop Replacement

5_How much battery life do you need? 90% of my work will be done at home. No more than 2-3hrs.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

When I can, yes.
Battlefield 3- High
Starcraft II- High
DOTA 2- High
FTL, Portal series, The Orange Box and other games from Steam- High

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

Editing videos, editing photos, email, document creation, watching movies, streaming online videos

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

750GB+.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Open to all

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

At least 4-5 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need?
DVD minimum. Blu Ray a plus.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

No preferred brands.

13_What country do you live in?
All over the world- always moving. But I have an address in the US for delivery, etc.

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed:

I have two options at the moment. Please let me know which you suggest, or if there is another option I overlooked. I didn't include the MacBook Pro simply because, for my budget, I cannot get one spec'd out to the processing power of these two options:

1. Alienware 14
14" 1080p anti-glare Screen
i7 6M up to 3.4GHz CPU
16GB DDR3L 1600MHz
750GB spinning at 7200rpm
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M (2GB GDDR5)
DVD+R+RW
$1,531

2. Toshiba Qosmio X70-ABT2G22
17.3" 1080p Screen
i7 6M up to 3.4GHz
16GB DDR3L 1600MHz
1TB spinning at 5400rpm
NVIDIA GeForce GTX770M (3GB GDDR5)
BluRay+DVD+RW+R
$1,404

Thanks guys, in advance.

Solution
Y510P is great but I personally prefer single card solution to SLI(again this is my opinion)
AW M14x is indeed good but like I said 765M is notably slower than 770M if you're fine with the performance sacrifice,go for it

che2487

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013

Thanks Maziar,

The Asus ROG G750JW is actually on my full list of options. That list also includes:

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p with dual graphics cards SLI
MSI GE70

I have to be honest, even with the smaller screen, and the inferior graphics processor, I was leaning towards the Alienware- just because of the great build, and the level of positive responses (reviews with Alienware products).

The ASUS and MSI, I was hesitant because of the build quality.

The Lenovo seems like a mainstream laptop, and is the weakest of the five options (even with the dual graphics processors)

The Toshiba- I've heard a lot of bad things recently regarding overheating, as well as complete inability to start after just a couple of days. Every brand has their duds/lemons, but the Toshiba Qosmio seems to be more common than most.

Anyway, hoping to hear about what you think of the above.

Thanks again.

Y510P is great but I personally prefer single card solution to SLI(again this is my opinion)
AW M14x is indeed good but like I said 765M is notably slower than 770M if you're fine with the performance sacrifice,go for it

Solution

che2487

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013

Thanks for the advice Maziar- I have a lot to think about.