Which is better HP dv6z Select Ed or Dell XPS 15z

sek4me

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I want to purchase a new laptop Can someone offer me some advice on which system I should go with between the two i listed ? Thanks so much !

Solution

Oh, you had it listed as a plus in the same sentence as the Dell. My bad.

Anyway, the HP system is not a bad laptop. It's just that the Dell was a little bit better in terms of performance. Go with what's comfortable for you. As for the number pad I'm not sure what you mean by music symbol, but it should act the same way a number pad on a keyboard would act (functionality and all).

Don't worry about the mix up. We're here to clarify the confusion. :)

sek4me

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Sure

HP
dv6z Select Ed
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• AMD Phenom(TM) II Quad-Core Mobile Processor N970 (2.2GHz, 2MB L2 Cache)
• ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 4250 Graphics with 128MB Display Cache Memory [HDMI, VGA]
• FREE Upgrade to 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• 640GB 7200RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
• $40 OFF! Microsoft(R) Office Home and Student 2010
• FREE Upgrade to Norton Internet Security(TM) 2011 - 3 Year Subscription from 2 Year Subscription
• 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (standard) - Up to 4.5 hours of battery life +++
• 15.6" diagonal High Definition LED HP Brightview Display (1366x768)
• TouchScreen with HP TouchSmart's intuitive multi-touch applications (includes HP TrueVision Webcam)
• SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
• 802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth(R)
• Backlit Keyboard with HP SimplePass Fingerprint Reader
• HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

Dell

2nd generation Intel Core™ i5-2410M processor 2.30 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz
2nd generation Intel Core™ i7-2620M processor 2.70 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.40 GHz

Operating System

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Memory3

6GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 1333MHz Memory
8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 1333MHz Memory

Chipset

Intel® HM67

Video Card

NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M 1GB graphics with Optimus
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M 2GB graphics with Optimus

Display

15.6 inch display (1920x1080)
15.6 inch display (1366x768)

Audio and Speakers

High Definition Audio +Waves MaxxAudio® 3
5.1 Surround sound can be supported via HDMI

Hard Drive

Up to 750GB4 SATA hard drive (7200RPM)
Up to 256GB4 Solid State hard drive

Optical Drive

Slot load 8x DVD+/-RW (reads & writes to CD/DVD) (9.5mm)

Power

AC Adapter
90 Watt

Battery
8-Cell Lithium Polymer (64WHr, 2.2AHr)
Up to 8 hours, 22 minutes5 of battery life

Camera

Webcam
1.3MP HD with dual array digital microphones

Wireless

Connectivity Options6
10/100/1000 Ethernet network standard, opt external USB Modem
Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 802.11 agn (2x2)
Bluetooth 3.0
Intel® Wireless Display ready6

Ports, Slots & Chassis

Ports and Connectors
HDMI 1.4 (1), Mini DisplayPort (1), RJ-45 (1), headphone (1), microphone (1)
3 total USB ports; USB 3.0 (2); USB 2.0/eSATA combo with PowerShare (1)
9-in-1 media card reader supporting SD, SDIO, SDXC, SDHC, MS, MS Pro, MMC, MSXC, xD

Dimensions
Height: 0.97" (24.68mm)
Width: 15.15" (384.85mm)
Depth 10.25" (260.37mm)

Starting at Weights
Starting at 5.54lbs (2.51 kg)7

Keyboard / Touchpad
Standard full size, backlit chiclet keyboard; spill-resistant
Multi-Touchpad with Integrated Scrolling & Gestures and two mechanical buttons; 100 x 56 mm - centered on system

sek4me

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Thank You for your help ....I have talked to a few stores and lots of them have told me Dell is crap ....I know that the Dell has everything I wanted on it ...I wanted a keyboard with a number key pad and this one has it but the HP doesn't so I need to buy an attachment keypad device. Bottom line they are real close in price within 100.00 bucks or so ....What would you get ? I mean is Dell crap ? I just hate to drop this money and then say OH no why didn't I research it ......

Actually, the Dell XPS 15z does not have a number pad. Otherwise, for only $100 I would get the Dell. The case is almost all aluminum (it's not unibody like a mac but still sturdy). You get a fast i5 or i7 processor and a graphics card that at least has a chance at playing some games. The two biggest complaints against it are some heat issues (it gets warm, but doesn't seem to fully overheat) and the fact that all of the ports are on the same side of the laptop.

Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/23/dell-xps-15z-review/
CNet: http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/dell-xps-15z/4505-3121_7-34714594.html
laptop mag: http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/dell-xps-15z.aspx

sek4me

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Hmm They told me it did have a numbers pad ....I hate when that happens that is why I wanted to research things first because I know how to "use" a computer but I don't know alot about them ....I have had a HP laptop for about 6 years and it was fine ..simple ..slow but fine . So I am so nervous about the choice I make . I love the fact that the Dell is finger recognition and face and it is touch screen ... LOL > Just tell me what to buy !!! :))

sek4me

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I feel so stupid now ...after you mentioned that about the keyboard I thought well let me call them and the guy I spoke to was gone but I got another guy and he said No that the line I was looking at did not have a numbers keypad so I ask a few more questions ..I was told they had touch screen ..he said No we do not have that available right now ...and a few more things . I basically was lied to by the first guy just to get my money ...So I don't think I will be going with Dell and I am so sorry I wasted your time in this. I just hope the HP is good .....does it seem like a good system ? I am sorry again . Also with a numbers keypad extension will I be able to use that to create symbols like a music sign and things like that ... :(

Oh, you had it listed as a plus in the same sentence as the Dell. My bad.

Anyway, the HP system is not a bad laptop. It's just that the Dell was a little bit better in terms of performance. Go with what's comfortable for you. As for the number pad I'm not sure what you mean by music symbol, but it should act the same way a number pad on a keyboard would act (functionality and all).

Don't worry about the mix up. We're here to clarify the confusion. :)

Solution

Garima30

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
hello , my name is garima n m planning to buy a hp laptop but m lil confuse about the models. Firstly i searched and came to know about dv6-6017tx with 2nd generation core i7 processor, 500HHd , 4 gb ram, 1 gb graphic card n window 7...but today i went to hp dealer they told me about a new model which is dv6-6154tx ith same processor but 6400HHD and 2 gb graphic card and same ram n window...but when i searched on this model on net...they showing that this model is not available....can u plzz help me out...