Which is better?

SuperKitty

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Hello,

I am close to selecting a low-budget lappy to purchase. Not sure which would be best for:
multi-tasking, im, skype, wp, fb, mmogs, etc. I purchase a new comp every 7-8 years. Last 2 were Dell desktops which I was able to maintain to keep up with tech advances for that amount of time. I don't expect this lappy to be current for more than 4 yrs. I just don't keep up to purchase the details of technology; just so it works with what's newly presented.

Don't need touchscreen. Don't care about 3-D.

Just which is better of the two for the price:

Contestant #1:
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-A53E-AS31-15-6-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B007MW13YG/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342325340&sr=1-2&keywords=asus+i3+laptop+15.6
Will add stick of 4G of ram = 8.
(CORRECTED LINK 7/14/12.)

Contestant #2:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246328&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Notebooks-_-Lenovo-_-34246328

Thanks!

SuperKitty
mew

Solution
No human being alive would buy an Intel GMA based laptop over an APU, APU's are far superior......... ok I take this back some humans would but you'd be foolish too. Go with the APU ok

SuperKitty

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
ty. i don't expect a lappy to last the same amount of time. but just wanted to give an idea of how i use comps. everyday. but don't keep up w-techno changes evy 2 years. both dells were low end of their models. just upgraded ram & graphics card. they worked fine.

today, the cost is much less. i paid around $1k for each of the desktop purchases. these laptops are around $500. but i would like to keep it for 5 years, if possible. i'm not expecting to do touch screen and don't care about 3D.

thanks for your comments.

much appreciated,
Kitty

SuperKitty

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
I looked at your Dell suggestion. Wayyy too costly once you get to their add on page.
I figure one can buy something that will keep up for 3 or 4 years, then get another with the new technology for round $500 each purchase. Same as buying a $1k machine to keep for same amount of time.

Main issue: this model doesn't have 16G expansion option. Goes to 8gig only. Dell does this. Over-prices everything.

For everything you mention, except games, a $400 notebook is probably adequate.
Acer Aspire TimelineX 14" notebook

Your requirements for gaming are very vague.
But for running MMORPGs which mostly favor speedy CPUs the slower clocked Llano APUs may not be the best choice. A fast dual core CPU might be a better choice over a slower dual module APU like the A6-3420M 1.5GHz.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I just want to say, that you won't need more than 8 GB of RAM in 4 years time. Hell, I don't even use 8 GB of RAM and I'm the most power user I know. Unless you professionally edit videos, but you wouldn't want to do that on a laptop that's less than $800.

In any event, that Acer is nice... except for the fact its an Acer laptop (yuck). Spec wise, it'll last you (aside from gaming) for several years.

rubbateckie

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
If you're still on those two I would go with Asus because I haven't heard the best things about the idea pad line build quality. But it is a lenovo so it wont be awful. And if games are a big issue, its going to be a lot more useful because of the dedicated graphics card.

dreamslides

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
No human being alive would buy an Intel GMA based laptop over an APU, APU's are far superior......... ok I take this back some humans would but you'd be foolish too. Go with the APU ok

Solution

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

You mean for budget gaming. ;) Might want to clarify that =O

dreamslides

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
Even if you wanted performance I'd still buy the APU because what is lacks in processing power over some other Intel version more than makes up with graphics ability which YOU WILL EVENTUALLY NEED. Intel GMA is a joke now

SuperKitty

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009

Yes, phyco126, thank you, for stating it. :eek:

And, dreamslides, ok! i thought the core i series would be okay for the multi-tasking and light mmog gaming described. but i guess the dedicated graphics card is Always Better. :non:

*sigh*. thought mebbe the core i would be better upgrade to previous intel stuff. :ange:

thank you for taking the time to comment.

:hello:

SuperKitty

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009

Hi WR2,

mmog mostly played is Runescape. May do the new Diablo, but that's about it!

Daily gaming is mostly Farmville (haha), E&A, and other FB games.

Thanks again,

:hello:

SuperKitty

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009

Yes, Jack, you are wrong again... *sigh*

SuperKitty

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009

Thank you, Phyco. I thought I'd need the ram to multi-task while playing Farmville (which uses TONS of (i think it's) graphics memory), instant messaging, skyping, and watching youtube. If I don't really, then I can wait on the 4Gig upgrade. But, it's only $22 so worth installing before I get comfortable on my system.

Still don't understand why the Acer is better. The specs seem pretty much the same as the ASUS, cept Asus has more HD & looks like the Acer is a more recent edition of the Core i3, 2370 over 2350.

Thanks for the comments. Helped to make my decision. Will just go with the Asus from Amazon.

Best to you.