Which Laptop is best??

GabeNuanezzz

Estimable
Aug 20, 2014
Hello all!
So I am getting a new laptop soon and I'm having quite a lot of trouble choosing which one to get. I'm looking along the lines of a gaming laptop, preferably no more than $1100. I've been eyeing the MSI Ge70 found at: http://amzn.com/B00TI6TASK
and also the Gt70 at: http://amzn.com/B00IMTQ6I6
AND also the asus at: http://amzn.com/B00T7XRH2A

Considering the speculations of ALL 3 laptops, which do you think is best? I like the look of the MSI GT70, but it's GPU and RAM is holding me back from the other two. What do you guys think?? Thank you!

Solution
Between all 3 choices, you can pretty much throw out the first one right away in terms of specs/size.

The only real difference between the core i7-4800mq and the core i7-4720hq is that the latter is 100mhz slower at both base and turbo speeds.

I also feel that 17.3" is too big for a laptop, which makes the asus one more appealing. I personally like the asus design more anyways, even if I would like a rainbow keyboard. I still much prefer a red backlit keyboard (its also beneficial if you're taking notes in a dark classroom - red isn't as noticeable as rainbow or classic white).

The Asus one has the most ram. While 8gb is usually enough, its nice to have 12 or 16gb, which makes the asus one all the more appealing.

Finally, the gtx...

alsar88

Estimable
Nov 10, 2014
i would go with the asus if you want a better size since 17 inch is too big IMO.
i checked the weight and it seems the asus is heavier in terms of ratio.
msi is 6.6 pd on 1 17inch screen
asus is 6 pd on a 15 inch.
i would go with the asus anyways, i dont fancy the crazy looking rainbow keyboard. but msi laptop is nice looking.
choose the size then pick the laptop, or watch linus techtip review on either.

GabeNuanezzz

Estimable
Aug 20, 2014

awesome man thanks for input! I like the aesthetic look of the lighting on the keyboard though. And I agree that 17 inches may be too much for a screen. I would love a GT70 with a gtx970m, but way to expensive D:

alsar88

Estimable
Nov 10, 2014
asus has a custom program that build the laptops to your spec, check it out.
also check out ncix, and newegg for deals on these laptops. amazon doesnt carry the best deals in the laptop segment.

fudoka711

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Between all 3 choices, you can pretty much throw out the first one right away in terms of specs/size.

The only real difference between the core i7-4800mq and the core i7-4720hq is that the latter is 100mhz slower at both base and turbo speeds.

I also feel that 17.3" is too big for a laptop, which makes the asus one more appealing. I personally like the asus design more anyways, even if I would like a rainbow keyboard. I still much prefer a red backlit keyboard (its also beneficial if you're taking notes in a dark classroom - red isn't as noticeable as rainbow or classic white).

The Asus one has the most ram. While 8gb is usually enough, its nice to have 12 or 16gb, which makes the asus one all the more appealing.

Finally, the gtx 870m and gtx 960m are fairly similar, with the 870m being more powerful. However, the 960m is much more power efficient (60W TDP vs 100W TDP).

In short - I would also agree that the Asus one is the best choice among those three. Oh, if only the 970m one were cheaper...

EDIT: So i did a check on newegg.com and found this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152876

It has the new broadwell i7 5700hq in it (2.7/3.5ghz) and should be more efficient than any of the other cpu's. It's also from msi, so it has the rainbow keyboard if you really do prefer that. It has 12gb of ram instead of 16gb, but that doesn't really matter.

Solution

GabeNuanezzz

Estimable
Aug 20, 2014

hey thanks man, this actually really helped! its really nice to get other's opinions. Unfortunately I already got a laptop before i read this and am typing on it right now. Its what i wanted so thats good. i ended up getting an MSI GE72 With:
Intel I7 5700hq
16 ram
gtx960m
rainbow keyboard of course x)
and 1 TB 7200 rpm. I'm happy. Thanks for all the answers guys!