Which notebook should I buy? Lenovo (i3-3110) using Intel HD 4000 or Asus (i3-3217U) using NVIDIA 710M

gavioto

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
I should buy one of two very similar laptops. Either a powerful i3 or worst i3 using 710M :

Lenovo Essential B590: http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B00FOOYOIQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1AT7YVPFBWXBL
- Display 15.6"
- Intel Core_i3_3110,
- 4 GB RAM,
- 500 GB HDD,
- Intel Graphics HD 4000,
- Windows 8

ASUS X552CL-SX022H: http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B00FYUD93Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1AT7YVPFBWXBL
- Display 15.6"
- Intel Core i3 3217U,
- 4 GB de memoria RAM,
- 500 GB,
- NVIDIA 710M, Windows 8
- Intel Graphics HD 4000,

My doubt is becouse both have the same price.

This is for home use and not for 3D or gamming.

Thanks

Solution
For home use, the Lenovo Essential is the better laptop. The Core i3-3110m (2.4GHz) is more powerful than the Core i3-3217U (1.6GHz). The "U" stands for ULV (ultra low voltage) CPUs and they generally run at lower clock speeds to lower power consumption. This means it gives up some performance for longer battery life; I cannot say how much longer the battery life will be though.

In general, either one should be fine, the Asus should last longer on battery, but due to the lower clock speed, you will probably replace it sooner rather than later. But that depends on entirely what you want to do with it. Simple things like browsing the internet, emails, and watching movies does not require much processing power. If you are into editing /...
For home use, the Lenovo Essential is the better laptop. The Core i3-3110m (2.4GHz) is more powerful than the Core i3-3217U (1.6GHz). The "U" stands for ULV (ultra low voltage) CPUs and they generally run at lower clock speeds to lower power consumption. This means it gives up some performance for longer battery life; I cannot say how much longer the battery life will be though.

In general, either one should be fine, the Asus should last longer on battery, but due to the lower clock speed, you will probably replace it sooner rather than later. But that depends on entirely what you want to do with it. Simple things like browsing the internet, emails, and watching movies does not require much processing power. If you are into editing / encoding videos or other CPU intensive things, then you definitely want to go with the Lenovo.

Solution
I am going to assume you are in Spain. I recommend you look at two other laptops from Dell.

http://www.dell.com/es/empresas/p/laptop-deals.aspx?c=es&l=es&s=bsd&~ck=mn

The 15.6" Dell Inspiron 15-3521 comes with a touch screen for 399 Euros. It has the same Core i3-3217U found in the Asus laptop. I do not think either the Lenovo or the Asus has a touchscreen, then again, I cannot read Spanish.

There's also the business oriented Dell Latitude 3540 for a more expensive price of 469 Euros, but it comes with a 4th generation Haswell i3-4010u (1.7GHz) CPU; remember "u" means ultra low voltage. All the other laptops has the previous Ivy Bridge generation CPU. The Intel HD 4400 is more powerful than the older Intel HD 4000, but less powerful than the GT 710m, then again you are not interested in playing games. It is capable of playing back 4k video (Ultra HD) which will be replacing 1080p HD as the new high definition video standard. It has Windows 7 Professional in case you do not want Windows 8, but I think there is a Windows 8 license should you want to upgrade, but you need to check it out yourself.

I actually have a Dell Latitude 3540 in my possession at the moment. I am cleaning it up for my uncle who managed get lots of viruses in the 4 or 5 months since he bought it. It comes with a Core i5 ULV CPU though. It seems pretty solid for a basic laptop, they keys are a bit stiffer than what I am used to the keys on my old IBM ThinkPad T40 and Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 needs less force to push down. I don't have any issues with the mousepad. I have not tested the battery, but on a full charge, they battery monitor state almost 10 hours of battery life. If "true", then I would think that means around 7 or maybe 8 hours of "real" battery life. I only tested it for 3 days while plugged into the AC outlet.

gavioto

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014

I should buy on amazon due to a gift card :)..... Thanks I will buy Lenovo