Which one should I choose

yanbek

Estimable
May 30, 2015
I live in a country where the base model macbook pro early 2015 13 inches costs the same amount as an Asus UX303LB 13 inch. My question is, should I buy the macbook pro or asus?

UX303LB specs:
Intel® Core™ i7 5500U
Intel HD Graphics 5500 and NVIDIA® GeForce® 940M VRAM
IPS FHD (1920x1080)
DDR3L 1600 MHz SDRAM 8 GB
128 GB SSD

Macbook specs:
i5-5257U
8 GB 1866 MHz PC3-14900 LPDDR3 SDRAM
Intel Iris 6100 Graphics with LPDDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
128 GB SSD

jaguarskx

Champion
Because all the programs I use are designed to run on Windows and it is the OS I am most familiar with. I have no experience with OS X.

I generally do not look at 13" laptops since it is not a size that interests me. If you are looking to play games and want a dedicated graphics chip, then your choices are severely limited because I believe there are only a few such 13" laptops like the Alienware 13. Most will have a 4th / 5th generation dual core Intel Core i5 CPU with the Intel HD 4400 or Intel HD 5500 graphics core.

If I wanted to buy a $1,200 - $1,300 laptop in the US then I would probably get the 15.6" HP Omen 15 gaming laptop with a quad core i7 CPU and nVidia GTX 860m. But it will only have a battery life of about 4 - 5 hours. If I were to just buy a 13" laptop, then I would consider the new 2015 version of the Dell XPS 13 which has a 13" screen but since the bezel around the screen itself is very thin, the laptop's dimensions are very close to an 11" laptop.

jaguarskx

Champion
The Asus has better specs and from a gaming point of view it is the better laptop. In terms of build quality, the Macbook probably is designed better.

What OS do you want to use Win 8 or Mac OS? With bootcamp, you can install both of those OS on the Macbook, but with only a 128GB SSD you will not have much storage space left afterwards.

Personally, I would go with Asus because I prefer to use Windows over Mac OS.

yanbek

Estimable
May 30, 2015

I have only used os x once, so I am not very familiar with os x as I am with windows. Why would you prefer Windows? Is not os x easier to maintain?

Would you recommend something else in that price range?

jaguarskx

Champion
Because all the programs I use are designed to run on Windows and it is the OS I am most familiar with. I have no experience with OS X.

I generally do not look at 13" laptops since it is not a size that interests me. If you are looking to play games and want a dedicated graphics chip, then your choices are severely limited because I believe there are only a few such 13" laptops like the Alienware 13. Most will have a 4th / 5th generation dual core Intel Core i5 CPU with the Intel HD 4400 or Intel HD 5500 graphics core.

If I wanted to buy a $1,200 - $1,300 laptop in the US then I would probably get the 15.6" HP Omen 15 gaming laptop with a quad core i7 CPU and nVidia GTX 860m. But it will only have a battery life of about 4 - 5 hours. If I were to just buy a 13" laptop, then I would consider the new 2015 version of the Dell XPS 13 which has a 13" screen but since the bezel around the screen itself is very thin, the laptop's dimensions are very close to an 11" laptop.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
X Laptop General Discussion 3
A Laptop General Discussion 6
M Laptop General Discussion 5
Y Laptop General Discussion 8
B Laptop General Discussion 0
B Laptop General Discussion 2
A Laptop General Discussion 0
S Laptop General Discussion 0
E Laptop General Discussion 1
S Laptop General Discussion 2
Bran37 Laptop General Discussion 0