Which order should I plug in components?

Apr 5, 2015
This is a general question not particular to any hardware. Assuming you have standard good but not incredible components (for me this means what I have, which is like a $1200 older (non 4k) Denon receiver, $2000 older kef 5.1 speaker set up, $130 newer samsung 3-D Blu-ray player, and a new $2500 LG 65" 4K TV), should I run the hdmi from the Blu-ray player into the TV then run the audio through an optical cable to the receiver, or should I run the hdmi from the Blu-ray player into the receiver, then run the HDMI to the TV? Which configuration gets the better video and audio quality? It seems like it would matter which component gets the signals and processes them in what order, however, I really don't know. Thank you and advance for your thoughts, which will be much appreciated.

shag00

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
You have a Denon receiver which I assume are powering the Kefs. Now to the extent possible you want to run all your HDMI to the Dennon and then the Denon HDMI out to your TV. I say this because the passthrough on TVs can be less than stellar.

shag00 is correct. It is only with the Bluray however that this is important. You can only access the lossless audio on BD discs through HDMI and the TV will usually not pass them through. If you use the tuner or internet functions of the TV you will also need to get audio from the TV into the receiver.
If the TV and receiver both have ARC then the single HDMI from the receiver to the TV will work in both directions. You have to make sure to use the ARC marked HDMI input of the TV and turn ARC on. If you don't have ARC in both you will need an optical cable from the TV to the receiver in addition to the HDMI.

Apr 5, 2015

Thank you Shag and americanaudiophile. I really appreciate your help. I'll keep everything moving through the Denon.