Why can't a PC do the encoding that a AVR can?

Sonnybu42

Honorable
Oct 27, 2015
Why can't a PC do the encoding that a AVR can?
If you have a Blu-Ray player in your PC... it seems it should have
a Sound card capable of being a all inclusive and updatable encoder/pre-amp.

Solution
Hello... HDMI is "Digital" audio DATA... and so is S/PDIF... these are "0" and "1's" going through Chips and processed some way... to become 'Analog" to your ears again... Depending on the "clock" freq and physical design of the CHIPs... performance and latency will vary.

I love the quiet whisper "low noise" levels of the recordings in Digital Equiptment... but latency in the recording/play back process will kill the "real-time" feel of the artist or show.

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... There are "Hardware" and "Software" audio systems... typically a PC will have a "software" chip and non-real-time CPU processing and output. A dedicated "hardware Chip" will do all audio processing within it's self... and be closer to real-time.

Typically Pro or Dedicated Audio processing will have Custom "hardware" chips in them for the JOB they are to do, fast and as close to real-time as possible... the Other problem is with "Trade marks and Copy rights of the material being used... Dolby, THX, etc.

Sonnybu42

Honorable
Oct 27, 2015

Ah... Yes... Latency... Man, I have seen my fair share of that... Latency is a Bit@h!

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... Yes... Just as a Graphic artist has to render his scene... so does the Audio engineer and his "Soft" and MIDI data used before the MIX down... I find it impossible to time/sync my vocals with just digital play back... and thus use a old school "Analog" MIXER and Effects unit, for the Mic input and headphone/monitor output to eliminate latency.

Sonnybu42

Honorable
Oct 27, 2015
So HDMI Audio is Analog?

So when I come out of my Blu-Ray Player using HDMI for the Video feed... and then I use S/PDIF Optical or Coaxial... for the Audio into my Non HDMI Bose Reciver, they are Analog?

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... HDMI is "Digital" audio DATA... and so is S/PDIF... these are "0" and "1's" going through Chips and processed some way... to become 'Analog" to your ears again... Depending on the "clock" freq and physical design of the CHIPs... performance and latency will vary.

I love the quiet whisper "low noise" levels of the recordings in Digital Equiptment... but latency in the recording/play back process will kill the "real-time" feel of the artist or show.

Solution