Why do 3.5mm audio cables keep breaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustley

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
I usually connect my mp3 player to my car stereo with a 3.5mm cable, and it seems that every 6 months or so, the cable starts wearing out, and the sound won't come out of both speakers unless it is bent a certain way, and it keeps getting worse until no amount of bending helps. I had the same problem with the cord for a pair of gaming headphones.

How can I keep this from happening? Is it because I am buying cheapie cords or am I using them to harshly? It isn't as if I am yanking them out of their sockets or stressing them in any way...

Solution
are you bending the cable into tight radius' ? (such as when you might wrap them up)
are you trying to bend the cable when it is cold? (such as in the winter)

it sounds to me like you are breaking one of the wires inside which causes the cable to work only when you bend it a certain way. (when the wires touch again)

if you used a cable with thicker wires it wouldnt break as easily, though if you abuse it i'm sure you could still break it.

i've been using a cheap radio shack 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable for about a year and a half without any issues. i'm not sure about the wire diameter but the outside of the sheathing is twice to three times the diameter of headphone wires.

i would say don't bend the wires too much and try looking for a...
are you bending the cable into tight radius' ? (such as when you might wrap them up)
are you trying to bend the cable when it is cold? (such as in the winter)

it sounds to me like you are breaking one of the wires inside which causes the cable to work only when you bend it a certain way. (when the wires touch again)

if you used a cable with thicker wires it wouldnt break as easily, though if you abuse it i'm sure you could still break it.

i've been using a cheap radio shack 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable for about a year and a half without any issues. i'm not sure about the wire diameter but the outside of the sheathing is twice to three times the diameter of headphone wires.

i would say don't bend the wires too much and try looking for a thicker cable. it doesnt have to be expensive.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.