why does Netflix app on Samsung smart TV not work. get black screen. Samsung no help with 5 resets. all other apps work.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

normus

Estimable
Sep 20, 2014
oes Netflix app on Samsung smart TV not work. get black screen. Samsung no help with 5 resets. all other apps work. Wi-if not problem. Help?

Skibum99

Estimable
Nov 14, 2015
The 'press tools' solution didn't work for me, as nothing happened when I pressed the 'tools' button on the remote...... I solved by first turning off 'always on' (see thread above) .. then unplugging the tv for a solid 3 minutes .... then I 'unpinned' the Netflix ap from the favorites (large icon) menu area on my Samsung smart tv.** Then I went back into the app list on the Samsung and selected Netflix... and it worked!

** I pinned by using the pointer style remote ...I hovered over the large Netflix icon....and moved over the small arrow on the upper right corner of the icon ... then selected the trash can icon.

dwilde

Estimable
Nov 18, 2015

I had the same problem - it turned out to be squidguard software running on my router.

dwilde

Estimable
Nov 18, 2015

Check your router - make sure you don't have squidguard running.

Earthbound1

Estimable
Nov 11, 2015
I dont even know what squidguard is but I dont see how that could be problem since I was able to have netflix run fine before. I actually was watching movie and just exicted netflix and wondered if thats how it screwed it up. I dont think I exited normally. I pretty much gave up. If you google it this is huge problem ppl are having. I dont think its all us. I think the bet soultion for me to try I cant figure out how to do. Maybe someone can help me. It wants me to change the internet to another country which I lvie in the USA. I see you doing some type of codes like mute volumeup channel up something like this ive tried and nothing happens. I just bought my tv last year and its a samsung 55 inch 4k tv model numberUN55HU6830FXZA

AFitterman

Estimable
Nov 20, 2015
I have a Samsung UN60HU8550FXZA TV that I bought around a year ago. I don't use the Netflix app very often, but it worked fine every time I tried it until after I upgraded the TV software to version 2280 a couple of weeks ago. After that whenever I loaded the app I got a brief black screen, and then I was back to TV mode with no warning or explanation.

I cleared my recent apps and tried Netflix again, but no luck. However, I then went into the "Samsung Apps" tile, and on the next screen there was a ribbon with a row of "Recommended Apps" at the top. I noticed a "3DGO!" tile appear at the right end of the ribbon with a blue download progress bar that filled up, and then I saw the Netflix tile also grey out and get the same blue download progress bar. When it was done and the Netflix tile was available again I clicked on it and everything was working again. So for me it looks like there was an updated version of the Netflix app that the TV wasn't downloading until I went into that screen.

Don't know if that will work for anyone else, but it got me back up and running without having to go through the horror show of Samsung support so give it a try. Good luck.

Earthbound1

Estimable
Nov 11, 2015
Beleive it or not I finally got it working! I did figure out how to change internet setting on mine finally and that didnt work when i switched it to another country and back to US. So I went into SH where you have the selection of apps and held down the center key in around the 4 arrows until view details, lock/unlock and update app showed up and clicked update app and it did an update and worked. Could of sworn I tried that yesterday and it wasnt available for update. Anyways I hope it works for you! Let me know!

susan2150

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015

ddinva

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015
I just got off the phone with Samsung. They informed me that the Netflix problem is a "known" issue and that updates are in progress. I was promised an update phone call within 24-48 hours from Samsung Engineers.....we shall see.

StonesFour

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015

I did the exact same thing tonight and got the exact same response.... We will see. In the meantime I think I'll order a fire stick from Amazon.

Annette_3

Estimable
Dec 23, 2015

I just tried this recommendation and it actually worked!! Thank you so much. I've been tried to figure this out for weeks.

Josey_

Estimable
Jan 2, 2016

I had same problem so i went to the app section by hitting featured then featured again and you may see a little update bar under the netflix app and then it will work, my netflix was out for 2 months now it works

melclancy6

Commendable
Feb 28, 2016

[/quotemsg]

No "tools" button on my remote, only "options" which when pressed does nothing on the All Apps screen

loscars

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016

Hi i shut down Samsung Direct (In Menu i think it was in system) The purpose of it it's to speed up the
start of the TV. But doing so it don't flush the cache. Shutting it down makes the TV to start with (for me) ca 3-5
seconds delay and i can live with that.

Kantanshi

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
This fixed my problem. It's not a joke on the old Nintendo code, just had to say this before continuing.

Open the Netflix app and use the arrow buttons on your remote in the following sequence:
UP, UP, DOWN, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, UP, UP, UP, UP
It should take you to a menu. Choose SIGN OUT and then sign back in again.

loscars

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016

It's cauesd by the TV as it in standby mode, don't clean up the cache. And that makes Netflix to crash. By cutting the power you force the TV to clean the cache. But there is another (simpler) way to solve it. Just turn of the setting "Samsung direct". This means that the start of your TV will take 3-5 seconds longer. But it will fix your Netflix problem just the same.

Smartlady

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016

Smartlady

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016
We had this problem with our smart tv. Netflix tried to update but instead it ended up being updated wrong so we got the black screen also. We went back and forth with Samsung and Netflix for over 4 hours to no avail. Finally I searched to see if others had the same problem and low and behold it was as simple as clicking on the Netflix app on the tv and hover over it until you see a side bar that says reinstall. Click on that and wait fir the reinstall and then it will prompt you to sign into your Netflix Acct and you are back in business. Thanks to the 26 year old female called cal.

Status
Not open for further replies.