Why is my Fujifilm XF1 better than my Canon EOS M?

nightcrawer105

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
Hello.

I have a Canon EOS M and I'm finding the EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM kit lens to be rather unsatisfying.

Versus my Fujifilm XF1, the Canon's image quality is pretty poor with pale colours, far too much contrast and high digital noise levels no matter what settings I use. My Fujifilm XF1 images, on the other hand are extremely clean, clear and sharp with very low noise, even at higher ISO settings.

The Canon's movie mode is supposed to have a higher bitrate than the Fujifilm, So far, I'm not seeing anything better other than higher ISO range. Yet again, videos on the Canon are very undetailed not looking true HD with poor colours and too much contrast - the Canon is coming out the loser versus the Fujifilm.

I've looked at a few Canon EOS M video tests on YouTube. Almost every video is shot with a better quality lens attached and the Canon picks-up the fine detail and colour so much better.

Why is my Fujifilm XF1 beating my Canon on every level? Is the lens on the Fuji better? If so, what type of lens should I be using on the Canon to get it to the level on the Fuji?

Canon's kit lenses are known to be very poor quality, that's why the camera is offered as "body only" so you can pair it with a better lens or with Canon lenses you may already have. I'm an Olympus man myself so I know nothing about Canon's line up of serious quality lenses.

nightcrawer105

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012

I don't have any other lenses, this is my first interchangeable lens camera. I was looking at some Canon lenses and their very expensive for what they are.

I don't really have much money to spend on a lens, at the moment with Christmas around the corner. I'm looking at some used lens online, but some are for film cameras.

Will older lenses work with the Canon?

Some older lenses may work but you should check for compatibility first. I have a Canon T4i and bought an adapter ring to permit the use of older lenses but I must confess that I haven't tested them yet. Be sure to test them first before using on an important shoot to see how you need to compensate for the differences in the lenses.