Why No One Can Stop Torrents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Dur, downloading Linux through torrents is extremely old news. Anyone that's downloaded any Ubuntu version near it's release knows this.

OLD!

G

they should do the same to all who oppose P2P ...... LONG LIVE TORRENTS

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Piracy is so hard to fight, I mean the software developers have to do the difficult task of embedding a hash checker into their software to save it. Same with other forms of media. OMG so difficult.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]I still prefer getting Linux via HTTP. It's always faster.[/citation]
What planet are you from? Around those Ubuntu releases HTTP goes to a crawl, yet I could still get 10.4 Mbps with a torrent.

randomizer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]What planet are you from? Around those Ubuntu releases HTTP goes to a crawl, yet I could still get 10.4 Mbps with a torrent.[/citation]
I get Ubuntu long after the release usually (it's not an OS I use regularly, more to see if things now work on it). The Aussie mirrors are pretty fast too. Torrents are usually no more than 150kB/s, as opposed to 500-800kB/s via HTTP.

apache_lives

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2002
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]I get Ubuntu long after the release usually (it's not an OS I use regularly, more to see if things now work on it). The Aussie mirrors are pretty fast too. Torrents are usually no more than 150kB/s, as opposed to 500-800kB/s via HTTP.[/citation]

I have to agree here - Australia perhaps suffers somewhere with torrents - one server to download from seems to be faster most of the time.

jawshoeaw

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
? Torrents are a waste of time for me - everyone knows torrents are for theft anyway, why dress it up? Linux downloads about the same for me on good old http.

G

Attacking the p2p programs and torrent sites is totally wrong and against any laws on privacy and freedom we have. It's not the torrent sites and users who leak the movies and games to the internet, it's the people inside those movie studios and theaters, wherever they get those advance copies of them, they make copies of them and distribute them forward.

If they wanna stop piracy, that's where they need to strike, not the innocent users of torrent sites etc. Sure, it's easier to strike at the torrents and call everyone a thief than just increase supervision of their own products and their own people. They're just lazy to admit their mistakes and change the way they do things, so they'd rather restrict our freedoms and privacy.

eltoro

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The title of the article is "Why No One Can Stop Torrents". I fail to see where an answer is offered???
Am I supposed to think that hackers protect torrent trackers? Is that a serious answer? I was expecting a technological/legal reason, but this is lame...

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]eltoro[/nom]The title of the article is "Why No One Can Stop Torrents". I fail to see where an answer is offered???Am I supposed to think that hackers protect torrent trackers? Is that a serious answer? I was expecting a technological/legal reason, but this is lame...[/citation]
Tom's has been doing great at making misleading titls as of late.

G

Some torrent use is actually the result of the fight against piracy. If you're an American living in the far east, you can't buy games online, and they're overpriced for the English versions. So the only way you can effectively get new games is torrents. I buy my movies on Itunes, paying for them when I could get them on torrents. With games, I have no frickin choice.

G

"jawshoeaw 02/07/2009 9:49 AM

? Torrents are a waste of time for me - everyone knows torrents are for theft anyway, why dress it up? Linux downloads about the same for me on good old http."

That's like saying: crowbars, wrenches, hammers, screwdrivers etc. are for theft because you can brake locks, doors and windows with them?

dariushro

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]I still prefer getting Linux via HTTP. It's always faster.[/citation]

I cant get more than 4-5 mb/s with http, but I get full speed of 10-11 mb/s with torrents.

G

There is no such thing as "illegally downloading movies and music"

There is such a thing as "making movies and music illegally available for downloading"

2GooDrumr

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
Truth is, I'm not a huge Linux guru, more of a MS kinda guy (no comments please :p). But it does me good to see stories like that last one from Brazil. It's a good time to love tech right now.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
WHAT THE H--- DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH STOPPING TORRENTS ????

i opened teh article cos it was titled "why no oen can stop torrents"

as a student in game art design i obviously would ahve an invested interest an article that is about stoping/or not stopping torrents ... but i have NO interest in how you can get a million copies of a NON gaming OS off torrents !!

for sahme tom's you keep doign these "hidden" articles on me and i'm taking myself else where for reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.