Why would Asus install a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit system?

homiefud

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
I'm in the market for a new netbook. I have my eye on the new Asus 1215T which is running an AMD Athlon II Neo K125 CPU. It is single core 64-bit cpu. The system also comes with 2GB of RAM that is upgradeable to 4GB.

They are distributing the netbook loaded with Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit. Why 32-bit? Is it not capable of running the 64-bit OS? It would suck to have to buy another Windows license just to be able to upgrade the RAM and utilize all 4GB.

This isn't the only netbook I've seen set up like this. Why would they do that?

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think the 64 bit OS consumes a bit more RAM so if you were to put the 64 bits version and don't really need it, you would just waste a bit more RAM. I use Win 7 HP 32 bits on my netbook with 4GB and don't really mind loosing some of the RAM.

I think the reason they do it is because of what you mentioned: it only comes with 2GB of RAM. There is no need for a 64 bit system with 2GB or RAM, obviously and the netbook market doesn't exactly cater to those who are technologically astute to the point where they would need or want to upgrade the RAM.

homiefud

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
But why wouldn't they just go ahead and install the 64-bit OS, regardless?

Is 2GB not enough to run a 64-bit system? That's the only reasoning I can figure...

Any other thoughts?

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think the 64 bit OS consumes a bit more RAM so if you were to put the 64 bits version and don't really need it, you would just waste a bit more RAM. I use Win 7 HP 32 bits on my netbook with 4GB and don't really mind loosing some of the RAM.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Because 32-bit is slightly cheaper for OEMs (I think) and they can load more crap ware on to it. Not only that, but the 32-bit OS uses a little less memory and 32-bit apps will use less memory on a 32-bit OS than a 64-bit one. This is a concern when you only have 2GB.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TatsuakiChouda Laptop Tech Support 0
K Laptop Tech Support 3
M Laptop Tech Support 5
Aksheev Laptop Tech Support 4
A Laptop Tech Support 2
L Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 4
C Laptop Tech Support 5
A Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 2
B Laptop Tech Support 1