Wi-Fi Alliance Certifying Wi-Fi Direct Products

Status
Not open for further replies.

existencenow

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
About time this is implemented in a more simple manner... now to just sit in starbux and enjoy all the people that weren't smart enough to disable there broadcast. oh how silly it is when i see 15-20 bluetooth devices on a train.

Xatos

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Wow, Tom's actually had a relevant article, and with no liberal dribble. No more Batman logo's in swimming pools this week?

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Doesn't Bluetooth 3.0 just set up a link for w 802.11 connection?

I wouldn't mind doing a direct wireless connection form a laptop to say, a PS3 without the use of a router.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I guess there's not much to say, this is just generally a great development for consumers. Still, I'm surprised how few comments such a big thing as this generates.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]I guess there's not much to say, this is just generally a great development for consumers. Still, I'm surprised how few comments such a big thing as this generates.[/citation]

Number of comments are inversely proportional to relevance of article. Its a well known formula.

geofry

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Very cool. Now I'm just waiting for someone to write a little piece of software that lets you set up a giant ad-lib network across town piggy backing off all these little devices laying about.

G

they originally separated the wifi access point and ADHOC, for fears of easy breaking into a pc.
I like it like this, as Windows is still too hackable.
Imagine people in the metrorail, with their advanced phones, netbooks, laptops, continuously being probed for information through a direct network. For the user it's often hard to see when you're connected to a network, or to a network via another computer.
That other computer is connected to you via an ADHOC network, and technically could find ways to get private information from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.