WiFi 'cuts out' when not being used?

RealityClash

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Hey all,
Ever since I bought my HTC Wildfire several months ago Ive had a problem with the wifi so that when the wifi is left on withought being used for more than 5 or 10 mins it will 'cut out'. I can still see the wifi icon in the top bar and it shows that I have signal but when I say, try to open a web page, it will just try and load the page for about 10 seconds then come up with an error message saying something like "cant connect".

Any ideas?

Solution
By default the WiFi will disconnect when the screen is asleep for 30-60 seconds. If you have a lot of stuff running on your phone it can slow down the time it takes to reconnect.
I would just download a power shortcut widget that would let me turn WiFi on or off, so whenever I woke my phone up I'd just click it on and off, let it connect then move on with my business.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
One thing to keep in mind about WiFi, it WILL drain your battery faster. I only turn it on when I need it (such as watching HD videos, at home where I can plug my droid in so it's not running on battery power, etc). Otherwise, I just use the 3G network through Verizon.

kedakari

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
By default the WiFi will disconnect when the screen is asleep for 30-60 seconds. If you have a lot of stuff running on your phone it can slow down the time it takes to reconnect.
I would just download a power shortcut widget that would let me turn WiFi on or off, so whenever I woke my phone up I'd just click it on and off, let it connect then move on with my business.

Solution

isamuelson

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008

I just stuck the Power Control widget on my desktop that allows me with a press to turn on/off the wifi as well as bluetooth, location, synching and set the brightness.

I believe this is a default widget that comes standard with Droids.