Will a better CPU help increase FPS when current CPU is already bottle-necking GPU?

Herwei255

Prominent
Feb 26, 2017
Hello, I've been planning to buy a new gaming laptop, and I've come to two choices, a MSI Laptop and a ASUS Laptop.

They are mostly similar, with 15.6' screen, 128 gb ssd + 1TB HDD, NVIDIA 1050 Ti 4GB, 4GB RAM, and installed Win 10. They also both have relatively same prices (few US Dollars difference only)

The only difference is the CPU, the MSI holding a i7-7700HQ, while the ASUS one having a i7-8750H.

I've checked online and it says that the GPU (1050Ti) would be bottlenecking the i7-7700HQ processor on the MSI laptop already, so would it still help to get an even faster processor (the i7-8750HQ) on the ASUS laptop? Would it help run games smoother? (P.S. I do not stream or do programming or video editing or stuff like that, so I just need to know if the GPU is already bottlenecking the laptop, would it still benefit fps if a better CPU was used in terms of playing video games)

I know since they have around the same price, I should obviously get the one with better specs, but I like the design of the MSI laptop more than the ASUS, so if there is no fps difference, I should get the MSI laptop.

Please help! I need to make my decision quickly as I would be leaving the country soon.

Note: (the laptops I was referring to)
MSI Laptop: msi gp62m7rex-2621
ASUS Laptop: asus fx504ge

On paper the spec are the same except the CPU, but maybe someone can help to take a look at the laptop design or whatever and suggest me which laptop would actually be the better one in terms of gaming performance/durability? Sorry I'm still a 'newbie' at computers..

Solution
Don't get deceived too much.
A graphics card does only load graphics, this means that you will hit a cap somewhere before the frames start to drop/strutter.

for instance on csgo you hit 250 fps in minimum and 250 fps on ultra, because that game barely has graphics and is cpu bound(like most fps)
In crysis 3, you will hit for example 1700 fps in minimum and 170 fps in low , and that in medium 150 for instance ..

ofcourse the i7 8750H has got 6 cores wheres the i7 7700hq has got 4 cores, it wont matter that much in gaming , because its mostly about single core strength. Read a couple reviews, but I mean if u can get a i7 8 series for a few dollars more... why not?

superninja12

Estimable
Herald
May 18, 2015
Don't get deceived too much.
A graphics card does only load graphics, this means that you will hit a cap somewhere before the frames start to drop/strutter.

for instance on csgo you hit 250 fps in minimum and 250 fps on ultra, because that game barely has graphics and is cpu bound(like most fps)
In crysis 3, you will hit for example 1700 fps in minimum and 170 fps in low , and that in medium 150 for instance ..

ofcourse the i7 8750H has got 6 cores wheres the i7 7700hq has got 4 cores, it wont matter that much in gaming , because its mostly about single core strength. Read a couple reviews, but I mean if u can get a i7 8 series for a few dollars more... why not?

Solution

Herwei255

Prominent
Feb 26, 2017

Well if it doesn't matter a lot, I would definitely go for the more aesthetic laptop.

superninja12

Estimable
Herald
May 18, 2015

its alot of money. but indeed, good luck sir!