Will i need an amp for the Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO 250 Ohm Headphones (paired with a Blue Yeti)

Azzercam

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Good Evening,

I have been looking at getting a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO 250 Ohm Headphones for my current set up. I'll be using them for gaming, watching YouTube videos, movies and hopefully using them when i' recording game play and commentary for my own YouTube videos.

I have just bought a Blue Yeti microphone and was wandering if i will be able to power these headphones from the headphone socket on the Yeti or will i need an amp?

If i need an amp would i plug the headphones into the amp and then into the blue yeti or would there be no need.

Sorry if it sounds a bit noobish.

Thanks for your help in advance

Solution
yes, you want an amplifier.

i suggest the schiit magni 2.

headphone amp would be between the headphones and microphone if using its output.

Azzercam

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I will definitely look into getting one. Ive had a quick look for the schiit magni 2 and there doesn't seem to be many places in the UK that sell this brand/model. Is there any others you would recommend?

Also if i choose to run it directly from my motherboard (Mod 1150 ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Hero), would this be able to power the headphones?

even the best onboard is only about as good as a $30 soundcard.

you might be able to power it with your onboard, but even if it works its not going to be ideal.

a few places in uk have it such as http://www.electromod.co.uk/schiit-audio/ i cant do anything about price but considering the dt990 is much cheaper there than here you will pay about the same in total that we would for the combo..

o2 amp is also a good choice.