Will leaving laptop plugged in while running when the battery is at 100% reduce capacity.

Goofygiggles

Estimable
Apr 18, 2015
Hey! I have a Levovo Edge 15 with a li-polymer battery. When im useing it at my desk, (Its my main computer) and the battery is at 100% im wandering if i should unplug it and let it discharge and re-charge or if i should leave it plugged in. Like if its at 100% does it stop charging and only run the laptop? someone let me know whats better to do ! Thanks. Also I know there is a lot of these on google but there are mixed answers so thats why im asking. Thanks Again!!

Solution
Hello... Battery types have a re-charge life to them, and discharging them can help or not help this life cycle.
But I also I seen that by un-plugging the power can put a laptop GPU and CPU into a lower performance state... a BIO's or Windows setting can help here.

The laptop charging system should be safe and be monitored for your laptop battery needs... and not a safety hazard to be left plugged in, Unless your battery has Shorted/Failed... SO if you are you concerned about battery life, then WIKI/Google/manual/PDF information about the best charging and discharging practice you should use for your type of battery.

Theres a bunch of info out there. From my experience it should reduce capacity. Your in luck because Lenovo has a power manager software for Lenovo computers that allows you to set battery thresholds. go to Lenovo website and download power manager from software page.

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... Battery types have a re-charge life to them, and discharging them can help or not help this life cycle.
But I also I seen that by un-plugging the power can put a laptop GPU and CPU into a lower performance state... a BIO's or Windows setting can help here.

The laptop charging system should be safe and be monitored for your laptop battery needs... and not a safety hazard to be left plugged in, Unless your battery has Shorted/Failed... SO if you are you concerned about battery life, then WIKI/Google/manual/PDF information about the best charging and discharging practice you should use for your type of battery.

Solution

Goofygiggles

Estimable
Apr 18, 2015

yes that came installed..Thanks!

Goofygiggles

Estimable
Apr 18, 2015
Ok thanks! When I unplug i have windows set so the gpu runs at the same speed and the CPU still turbos. Thanks!

Goofygiggles

Estimable
Apr 18, 2015

Im sorry I never really responded. You were really helpful, thanks!