Will reflow work with Compaq 615?

Maurice97

Estimable
May 24, 2015
i got a HP compaq 615 it doesn't work
it turns on but only fan spinning and 5 capslock blinks
can i use the re-flowing method to fix it?
i tried resetting the cmos but that did not work for me So re-flowing it is i guess

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... Did you also replace the CMOS battery? 2for$@$store.

They removed lead from common solder... and without the lead, the solder joints can crack from temperature changes and vibration/shock... This is what the Reflow method is used for... monitor your temperature and keep a eye on it for that moment when the solder finally melts, so as to not do any more high temperature harm to other things.

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... Yes... It holds the CMOS memory 1's and 0's and bootable information... if you clear/reset the CMOS with the battery in place, it will short the battery out too... always remove the battery first before a CMOS clear/reset... for a $ worth a try? B /

Maurice97

Estimable
May 24, 2015

Sure thing imma try that
and nope the battery is rated at 3 volts in my multi meter
it's not empty

btw i got this PC today for 20 bucks
it was listed for parts or repair
i disassembled it to pieces and i tried cleaning it and reapplying thermal paste but non of these solved my problem

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... Sure good project and deal... I understand your drive with such things B )
Try a clear with the battery removed...

Is your PS/charger voltage good?
Do you have a good Laptop main battery installed during your tests... good voltage and no charging errors there?

Check this out... http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3232010/boot-windows-bad-hdd.html#18825244 bad drive partition gives the same error condition you have... Try a BIO's boot without a drive attached? or another drive B /

Maurice97

Estimable
May 24, 2015

it had no HDD in it
but i did a BIOS restore and guess what!
it worked :D
but sometimes it doesn't turn on right away, i'd have to press and hold start and B and power it on then power it off then it powers on perfectly
why that happens?

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... GOOD JOB B )... That might be the Original problem... B / sometimes a desktop won't boot right away un-less the main PS switch is used and it was left off for a while, before the restart... how long are you waiting before re-starts?

Maurice97

Estimable
May 24, 2015

Hello.
well sometimes i start it but it does nothing then i turn it off and hold start and B and power it on for a minute then restart it and after that it works

and yeah it was left in a trunk by it's last owner

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... well a minute or two between boots is not a extreme problem in my eyes... sometimes it takes time to drain the voltage, resetting the 1's and 0's, back to start logic.

left in a CAR or trunk... Ya that sounds like vibration, extreme temperature swings?... and a re-flow B /... there are quite a few utubes on the subject.

Cracked solder joints are visible defects with a magnifying glass... the Bad solder joints will be a dull shine, no shine or a Visible crack OR obvious discoloring of the Circuit board from heat... another way to locate them would be slightly pressing on chips or spots on the MB, and repeating BOOT tries... too narrow down the location.

I use the above method with a magnifying glass and solder iron to the questionable joints... I have never re-flowed with a oven method... and makes sense for a quicker repair solution for this type of Solder, surface mount and smaller solder connections.

Maurice97

Estimable
May 24, 2015

but it's working just fine, i installed a new hdd on it and a fresh copy of windows 7
that problem happens when i start it and sometimes it doesn't happen

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello.... B D... good $20/HD spent so far... Sometimes things run better with a Bio's flash, and Windows 7 B )

Cold temps/room and Cold boots will be the times a cracked solder joint or intermitted connection will show it's self... as the metal/solder is the smallest.