Will RX Vega 56 work in the eGPU adapter EXP GDC?

PetarV

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
I'm doing an eGPU set up and I'm choosing between the 1070 (I know it works with my laptop and the adapter) and the Vega 56 (not sure if it works). I know the 56 is a bit better than the 1070 in terms of performance (plus that nVidia is f*cking with the drivers) but the main question is will it actually work? I know some people have eGPU set ups with the rx 56 and a thunderbolt 3 adapter but none with the PCIe mini adapter I'm going to use.
Adapter: EXP GDC v8 or v8.4
Laptop: Asus GL551JW, it has a mini PCIe port, OS is win7, I might upgrade to win 10 in the future
Thanks in advance!

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

It should work just fine. Nvidia's cards are way pickier with bandwith limitations than amd so no reason it should not work.

prafulla.choubey

Prominent
Dec 12, 2017

Are you able to setup vega 56 with this Adapter?

PetarV

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
Well its really expensive right now and I think I'm going to get a RX 580. In a few weeks I'll post scores in benchmarks.

prafulla.choubey

Prominent
Dec 12, 2017

I read a review on Amazon which says this adapter doesn't go well with RX 580. I got an RX 580 and was wondering whether I should order this adapter or not? :p

PetarV

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
The complaints I found people had with AMD cards were because:
a) AMD cards need a seperate monitor to run, they won't run on the laptop monitor.
b) some guy had a strange problem with the power draw of his rx 480, I think he just didn't connect the PSU cables to the EXP GDC the right way otherwise this would be a problem for both nvidia and amd

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Laptop General Discussion 1
C Laptop General Discussion 5
C Laptop General Discussion 1
Kenber Laptop General Discussion 1
H Laptop General Discussion 1
Guny Laptop General Discussion 1
shashume Laptop General Discussion 1
LordElites Laptop General Discussion 2
H Laptop General Discussion 0
J Laptop General Discussion 7
M Laptop General Discussion 2