Windows 10 and Windows XP network compatibility

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Midi-Magic

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017
Forced by needs of two people to have Windows 10 and Windows XP on the same network. Both need to have internet access and share a printer.

How can I do this without problems between the two computers? The router is in an AT&T U-verse modem

Can files be shared on a network drive?

Does Windows 10 spy on files? I have heard rumors.

One person has been required by employer to upgrade to Windows 10.

The other person has music studio equipment, music software, and animation software that can't run on anything newer than XP. The resulting files are uploaded to a website.

Solution
Configuration Management?

Who installed Skype and why? Was the Skype installation tested first and vetted for use, security, compatibility, and risks?

Perhaps so and then some update came along and some misconfiguration (bug, file corruption, human error) occurred.

I think it is becoming increasingly difficult to maintain any configuration management these days. Especially so with respect to older OS's and software applications - supported or not. Updates are forced and configuration changes made whether we wish to have them or not.

And the System Administrators are left hanging and trying to explain the matter to higher level managers who usually do not know, care, or even wish to acknowledge existing or potential problems...
Curious about one thing:

Are the "ceteris paribus rules" truly that rigorous?

I do understand the experimental need to maintain constants and change only one thing at a time.

However, how was ceteris paribus applied when we went from pen and paper > slide rule > pocket calculator? Roughly coinciding along with the path from main frame computers > to personal computers, etc..

Most labs have all sorts of automated and computerized equipment. They do not want to lose or invalidate the results of their work due to some upgrade that may make the results easier to obtain, faster to compute, and more accurate.

Most systems I worked on went through a parallel run process where the new hardware/software results were continually compared to the old hardware/software results.

When the systems and, more importantly, the end results were completely matching for a full cycle or two the old system would be placed into some retirement state and eventually decommissioned.

So if you have data on an old computer and copy that data to a new computer that generates matching end results I would not see any problem regarding ceteris paribus rules.

Very simple to set up and apply some guidelines to validate and certify the results.

New computational tools should not be an experimental issue.

Forcing the continued use of obsolete devices seems to be more some bureaucratic turf war or a remnant of the ever present academic stuffiness that has been around for centuries...

Midi-Magic

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017

They changed the software to fix bugs and add capabilities to the shuttle. But they never changed away from the 80386 processor or to new versions of MS-DOS.

#3 means nobody can do a proper study longer than about 5 years.

I didn't get to choose. The IT department chose the computers, and purchasing always puts every lab equipment purchase out on bids. State law required these.

The point is that we were able to do this with MS-DOS. We were able to start an experiment in 1985 and continue it until 2000. As long as IBM-PC type machines with ISA buses were available that ran MS-DOS, the drivers that came with the scientific equipment worked, and we could change out bad computers without changes in timing or data accuracy because the new computers worked the same way. We DID run the parallel-run process and verified no change in operation.

We went right from Windows 3.1 to XP because that's when the last of the PC-based ISA computers failed. We did not expect all of these problems. We got them anyway.

As soon as Windows 2000 became the dominant operating system, none of this compatibility worked anymore:

- The ISA bus was gone. The old lab equipment guaranteed to be accurate for 30 years (precision parts and NO electrolytic capacitors) would not work at all on new computers.

- Every time a new version of Windows was installed, the accuracy of the magnitude of the data collected by the scientific equipment was the same. What changed was the timing between data collections. We got totally different results when doing the parallel-run process. The equipment company said they had to make new interface hardware and software to fix the problem, and to hold on to the old operating system for about 3 years until they could have it ready and tested. Some makes went out of business or removed computer control because they could not keep up with Microsoft.

- Often a Windows update DOES change the system timing enough to make the parallel-run process fail. And at the rate Windows get updates now, another update comes in before the parallel run is finished.

The trouble was not the accuracy of the collected magnitudes. The problem was controlling WHEN the data collections happened and the times between them. We were getting missed collections - the next data overwrote the port before the computer got the previous data. Also, we had serious latency problems when the collected data showed a need for the computer to adjust experiment parameters.

We traced this to Windows having control of the computer (instead of the collection program) when these things happened.

When we went through the parallel run process, the comparisons failed. The new system either changed the timing between data collections or the timings between collections varied. There were missed collections. And often it totally missed the onset of the event being observed.

New computational tools were an issue only when the Pentium bug appeared.

We weren't forcing the use of old computer equipment, We couldn't get the new computers to work with the old lab equipment (which still had that 30-year warranty, so we couldn't justify the money for new while we had it). And when we tried to find new equipment able to do our experiments, either the companies had stopped making it, they stopped making it computer controlled, there was a 3-year or so wait to get it for the new OS, they told us to use MS-DOS, they went to timestamps, or they could not simultaneously meet our collection speed, timing accuracy, parameter write, and onset specifications that the old systems were able to do.

One company claimed it could do everything we wanted in experiment control with a Linux based system. We bought it for $5000. We could not make it do all of the things needed in the same data collection setup. It could do the speed we needed, but only if we did not look for onset or adjust the experiment parameters. If we set it up for the latter, we could not get the speed or the timing accuracy between collections. I was about to pack it up to return it when the lab manager got so mad he smashed it with a sledgehammer.

I finally found out that multitasking was causing out problems. MS-DOS worked because it didn't multitask unless you spooled a printout. The problem is that nobody sells a system that doesn't multitask. We can run MS-DOS on new computers, but the timing is off and we can't use anything but floppy disks.

BFG-9000

Respectable
Sep 17, 2016
I still don't understand the problem. XP works as well as it ever did, and networks just fine with Windows 10 so long as you don't use the "features" exclusive to newer operating systems like Homegroups. Any risk to the XP machine itself from being online is a moot point because any project like this will have many backups, so the only additional risk is to the Win 10 machine, which I suspect you don't much care about anyway. Nobody would be concerned with DOS on a network because of its obscurity, SMB1 or no.

Obsolete computer equipment is cheap and widely available, plus things used to be built to last with no electrolytics. NASA famously had to scour eBay for 8086 chips to keep the Shuttle flying, but it did. So the only "problem" sounds like purchasing won't requisition old things for you for free. And someone in your lab doesn't seem to care about the cost to them either, if they would smash up a new $5k computer.

I can appreciate the desire to rant, but it's simply not realistic to expect "a law that prohibits discontinuing software and support" because a company can always go out of business if being forced to maintain a non-multitasking OS just for you turns out to be unprofitable. And how can that be profitable if you are too cheap to even pay for used equipment or custom support? ;)

Midi-Magic

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017
A law that prohibits discontinuing software and support would not put the company out of business. It would keep them from changing versions all the time.

Those microcontrollers were not generally available in the 1990s. What were we to do with the 20 year studies started in 1995. We didn't know that Microsoft was going to make such huge changes.

We did get some small microcontrollers in 2003. But guess what? We had to have MS-DOS or Windows 3.1 or earlier to program the thing. They did not yet have a have a version of the NS 32000 compiler (the CPU in the microcontroller) for any later version of Windows. And we still could not match the data collection speeds we got with MS-DOS.

Midi-Magic

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017
I just had a timing/latency problem occur on our network. The XP was not involved.

Skype was installed on one of the computers. Suddenly, all of the other computers (mostly Win 7) on the network could not stream videos reliably. Now get this one: When Skype was uninstalled from that one computer, then all of the other computers on the network started playing both streams and saved video files about 10% too fast.

Rebooting each computer caused it to start playing streams and files at the proper speed.

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how that happened.

Don't tell me that changes in the computer don't change the real time behavior of music and scientific applications.

Configuration Management?

Who installed Skype and why? Was the Skype installation tested first and vetted for use, security, compatibility, and risks?

Perhaps so and then some update came along and some misconfiguration (bug, file corruption, human error) occurred.

I think it is becoming increasingly difficult to maintain any configuration management these days. Especially so with respect to older OS's and software applications - supported or not. Updates are forced and configuration changes made whether we wish to have them or not.

And the System Administrators are left hanging and trying to explain the matter to higher level managers who usually do not know, care, or even wish to acknowledge existing or potential problems. Especially if $ is involved.

Every product wants to be the "One Ring" and also somehow monetize its' presence on the host computer.

If change cannot be tolerated within the current system and requirements it is probably best to start restructuring and revamping accordingly.

Think ahead: software as a service, IoT as a service, everything as a service. The "Personal" in PC will be gone along with a lot else...

Will end at that as further comment/opinion should be over in the applicable section.

Solution

partridgespam

Prominent
Nov 4, 2017

"Under System-Computer Name make sure Workgroup name is the same on both"

I got through the previous steps but have no idea how to do this. I don't see "System-Computer Name" anywhere in this menu. If I've already left the homegroup, how/where can I set the Workgroup name?

TRENDING THREADS