Windows 10 no sound from audio jacks

Sakulbl

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
Hello,

I have a new pc with Windows 10 OS. The problem: no sound from headset plugged into audio jack (headset has two jacks one for mic one for speakers). There are jacks in front and rear of the PC. Headset is Steelseries Siberia 200. I tried uninstalling all audio devices from device manager and restarting Windows, installing drivers from the motherboard support page, tried unticking 'Disable front panel jack detection' in Realtek HD Audio Manager as per suggestions found when googling, disabling all sound effects, trying different rates in the Advanced tab of playback device properties, nothing. When testing it shows as if it would play the sound in the bar, but nothing can be heard. The headset works fine with jacks on my laptop with Windows 7.

I tried a USB headset and it immediately works fine.

Related PC specs:
OS - Windows 10 Professional x64
Motherboard - MSI B105M GAMING PRO
Chipset - Intel B150 (Skylake PCH-H)
Audio adapter - Intel Skylake PCH-H

I believe other specs are not necessary. At this point any help is very appreciated because I have no ideas left.

Solution
Download the applicable audio drivers from Realtek - not the motherboard site or Microsoft. Give those drivers a try first.

Are you comfortable with opening up the case and checking the internal connections? PC power off and unplugged of course.

Especially check any cables between the jacks and other components (motherboard, sound card)? Front and back. Look for possible missing cables as well. Motherboard manual should identify the connection points.

Then look closely at the jack connections themselves. Should be firmly in place, no movement, no solder cracks or drips touching other pins, traces, wires.

Make sure that all are correctly and snuggly plugged in. May look okay but plug and unplug to be sure. Examine the...
Download the applicable audio drivers from Realtek - not the motherboard site or Microsoft. Give those drivers a try first.

Are you comfortable with opening up the case and checking the internal connections? PC power off and unplugged of course.

Especially check any cables between the jacks and other components (motherboard, sound card)? Front and back. Look for possible missing cables as well. Motherboard manual should identify the connection points.

Then look closely at the jack connections themselves. Should be firmly in place, no movement, no solder cracks or drips touching other pins, traces, wires.

Make sure that all are correctly and snuggly plugged in. May look okay but plug and unplug to be sure. Examine the plugs for poor wire connections or damage.

Solution