Solved! Windows 11 - Touchpad erratic after screen turns off

Status
Not open for further replies.

vincej

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
I recently upgraded to Windows 11. Now, every time my Dell 7590 laptop turns off the screen, the touchpad is unresponsive and erratic. The only way to prevent this behaviour is to set screen turn off to "never". Or alternatively to restart the laptop. I never had this problem with Windows 10. The touchpad does work, but it does not track your finger correctly, often with a 2-3 second delay. I have updated the bios to the most recent version. I uninstalled the touchpad driver and reinstalled it. I cleaned the laptop with Restoro.

Any recommendations?

Many thanks !

Solution
If it's not too late, revert to Windows 10. I personally have Win 11 on an extra laptop to play with, but won't update my main machine for several months. Check with the Dell support site to see if they have any new touchpad drivers (not all drivers show up on Windows updates. Also check to see if the Windows update optional updates has a driver. I don't recommend using a "helpful" driver updater program. They can be a source of viruses. Stick with Windows and the manufacturers updates.

I turned off all the gestures and to my surprise this appears to have fixed the problem. Touch pad is response again after sleep and also after a screen shut off. I hope this might help someone else.
If it's not too late, revert to Windows 10. I personally have Win 11 on an extra laptop to play with, but won't update my main machine for several months. Check with the Dell support site to see if they have any new touchpad drivers (not all drivers show up on Windows updates. Also check to see if the Windows update optional updates has a driver. I don't recommend using a "helpful" driver updater program. They can be a source of viruses. Stick with Windows and the manufacturers updates.

vincej

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011

I turned off all the gestures and to my surprise this appears to have fixed the problem. Touch pad is response again after sleep and also after a screen shut off. I hope this might help someone else.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS