Windows 7 connects to VPN but cannot RDP when connected via a data card

thavanac

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Hello,

We have recently purchased 2 netbooks with Windows 7 starter edition on it. The machines connect to our wireless network without a problem and we are then able to use our Cisco VPN client to establish a VPN connection and then connect to a server via remote desktop connection, all effortlessy when connected on the wireless network.

The problem comes in when we try to connect to the server via remote desktop but our connection is through our mobile data card. The VPN connection is fine, we can get onto the internet but we cannot RDP to the server.

Does anyone have a clue as too why this would happen i.e. I can RDP to a server using a VPN connection when connected on the wireless network but I cannot RDP using a VPN connection when connected on my data card?

mitrarealm

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
Thavanac

The same was happening to me, why I do not know but this is how I resolved the issue:

Assuming that you are typing the machine name instead of IP address in RDP (mstsc.exe) to connect to the remote machine -

1. Connected to Wireless/LAN where everything works fine.
2. Connect to VPN.
3. Open Command Prompt Start>Run>cmd
4. Ping the server name e.g. C:\>ping servername
5. Review the ping result to get the IP address of the server.
6. Exit the command prompt, disconnect VPN and wireless/LAN connection.
7. Connect data card and login to VPN.
8. Now in your RDP, use the IP address that you found in Step 5 and it should work.

You will observe that when you connect via the data card and VPN, the server IP address somehow gets changed and that is the reason why you were unable to connect in the first place, why that happens is unknown to me.

Thanks
Abhishek Mitra
Deloitte Consulting

ismklpt

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013

I have the same issue do you have solution.

Kalappatt