jevbrowser

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
(No Subject)
Actions
jev1968 jevbrowser 12:50 PM Flag this message
To: jev1968 jevbrowser

I have this crazy pc problem and I’m not sure how to solve it. Here are the symptoms that began about 2 weeks ago and occur about once or twice per day almost every day (there is no more specific/exact time pattern than that):

- I will have 3 or 4 programs running like Outlook, Chrome and Excel maybe

- Everything works great and I leave the keyboard and mouse alone for 5 minutes or so while I am reading something online for example. Suddenly 1 or both of the following may happen randomly and either separately or simultaneously:

o Suddenly the START key triggers in Win7 (simulating a Ctrl-Esc or a direct mouse click on the START button). It happens by itself without me touching anything. And the mouse cursor itself does NOT move. The START menu then just sits there. It won't reboot at that point.

o Suddenly Chrome shuts down, then Outlook shuts down, then Excel shuts down, then Windows RESTARTS (these could happen in ANY order, and you would think by looking at the screen that it is an orderly soft shutdown, almost as if I had actually used the KEYBOARD myself to shut down those programs and then RESTART the system) (again, the mouse cursor does NOT move). But again, i am just sitting there reading and not touching the mouse or the keyboard.

Here is how I have troubleshooted so far:

- I have checked the Windows Event log and it shows the UNEXPECTED shutdown as you would expect. But no other definitive evidence of system or app problems.

- I have checked in Task Manager and Control Panel to make sure there weren’t any unfamiliar programs or processes installed or running.

- I have checked to ensure that there are no hardware or overheating type issues since I monitor those things with several tools…….like CoreTemp for instance, etc…..)

- Scanned with latest Norton Internet Security

- Scanned with latest MalwareBytes Premium

- Scanned with latest MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit

- Scanned with latest MalwareBytes Anti-Rootkit (BETA is all they have)

- All of the above AV and Malware tools ALWAYS run on my pc and they all came up clean.

I have never seen this type of behavior on a Windows box before. Has anyone ever seen this type of pc behavior before?

Thanks,
Jev

jevbrowser

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Ok. I could try that. But can you tell me if you have ever experienced these symptoms before?

jevbrowser

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Just want to emphasize from my original thread that i am seeking a tech discussion about if anyone has seen this type of behavior before. If as a result of that discussion, there is a technically sound solution to be offered, then i am all for trying it. What i want to avoid is just trying whatever tools i havent tried yet and then wishing for some success.

jevbrowser

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

Yes. I have no screensaver, no sleep mode, no hibernate mode, and i ALWAYS stay current with Windows Updates. (or..........did you mean i should examine the update history to see if there is any particular KB update that is relevant?)