Solved! Windows installation problems

Nov 8, 2018
Sorry if this is in the wrong thread never used this before, I have a dell insprion 15 laptop, I recently cleaned the drive fully. Since this takes several hours I let it run over night while I slept, I woke up in the morning and a screen had popped up mentioning pdf files files. Me being half asleep and not fully understanding it I just clicked the first option, it rebooted and began to install windows again, I believe it fully installed, I got to the next stage of clicking timezones etc etc for the setup, after that it goes to a blue screen and says "just a moment" and eventually resets itself and says my pc struggled to start we have a update which we think will help, so I click okay, type in my WiFi password but then it gets to the "just a moment screen" rinse and repeat. I've tried another reset 2 times from the automatic repair options it's got to the exact same place everytime. Sorry for the long message didn't want to forget anything that might help my case. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Try this...

1. Turn off the laptop.
2. Turn off your WiFi, or take the laptop to an area where there isn't any WiFi. (If connected via Ethernet, unplug it.)
3. Turn on the laptop.
4. Once it fully loads, then turn on your WiFi again.

It should work now. Sometimes (especially in 10) updates, including those that come after a reset, can get the computer stuck. It happens when an update fails, for whatever reason, and the device continually tries to get it to install over and over. Leaving you 'stuck'. Until you take away its ability to continue trying the update, hence the no WiFi, then it should load.

Nov 8, 2018

Hi there, what do you mean exactly by fully loads, I've tried your steps, and I get to the stage where it wants me to add my time zone etc, and then the step after that asks for wi fi, I have clicked skip this step as I have no router on, after that's its stuck on a "just a moment screen" however this time before my WiFi step, I got a screen titled "why did my pc restart" with a list of a few instruction options, all of which
Have already been followed. Windows 10 came on this laptop. Not sure if any of this helps. Just hoping I Dont need to by a new laptop as this cost me alot.

Nov 8, 2018

Yep, turned my router off completely for about 30 minutes and let it reboot itself several times. No change. Completed another reset aswell, still no change.

Nov 8, 2018

The laptop is a Windows 10 laptop, it wasn't upgraded from 7 or 8, not sure if that changes anything, would a USB or dvd you speak require paying for and where would I be able to get one?

Nov 8, 2018

The furtherst I've managed to progress in every combination of tips I've tried is, all the way to a log in screen but with the user "deafultuser0" obviously not knowing the password. I couldn't get further.

ok sit down and have a cup of joe and relax. first off windows restore and system restore can fail if there a bad drive or a virus. windows also wont roll back if there no restoe points. also doing a restore most times is for a damaged windows or a bad update. to be able to get into windows and back up your personal data and then running the factory restore or replacing a failed hard drive. most new dell and hp have a factory restore on there hard drive now. if you can boot into windows use a usb stick or online backup to safe your personal files. then run the factory restore to put a clean image on the hard drive. if the restore failes or takes hours your hard drive or other parts have failed or are failing causing issues. do not make a windows restore usb stick at this time and use it. if you do you lose all the extra programs and drivers that are in the stock restore image. windows plain from ms will fit on a 8g usb stick.it has both 32 and 64 bit installers for windows 10. if your hard drive is still working most vendors now will let you make a bootable usb iso from the factory restore on the hard drive. if not dell may have a disk or a iso image that let you make your own restore usb stick. if you can get into windows right now download and run hdtune see if your main drive shows any health warnings. if it a wd or seagate drive download and run there vendor diags. for the laptop memory. power down and pull the battery check that the ram is lock in on the laptop then run memtest from a usb stick see if there are any issues. for a virus start with malwarebyes then do a few free online virus scans from the big anti virus comp.

Nov 8, 2018

Ive. Manged to get windows 10 on to a USB, how do I go about using it to maybe fix my problem?

Connect the USB to the computer while the computer is off (off off) and then turn it on. It 'should' recognize it. If not, then you may have to go into BIOS and change it to load the USB first rather than the drive.

Side note, none of this will bypass any log in requirements. If there is a required password, and you don't know it, then you can't get in.