Windows Phone 7.8 to Arrive Following Windows Phone 8 Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
[citation][nom]andy_newton[/nom]Whoever gets excited over Windows Mobile 7.8 needs a brain transplant. (Your device is worthless by design since Day 1)[/citation]
not true at all! Even knowing that WP8 was going to come out I almost jumped on a Lumia 710 or 900 because it would meet or exceed just about all of my needs in a smartphone. I am glad that I waited for this new batch, but to be honest it was more an issue of not having the money at the time rather than wanting to wait.

Not everyone wants/needs the over complicated Android system, some of us just want our phones to be phones. But we also do not live in the apple ecosystem. WP7/8 strikes a nice balance between usefulness, and simplicity. I love hardware, and playing with settings, and figuring stuff out, but I am also an adult with responsibilities and if I had an Android I would simply break the poor thing just in messing with it, and I simply cannot afford down time with my phone. I feel no such compulsion to mess with the Windows Phones that I have played with, and where I would find that unacceptable in a PC or laptop, I find as a plus for my phone because for me it is an appliance that simply needs to work, not a device that is 1 of many that can replace it if I break it.

andy_newton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]not true at all! Even knowing that WP8 was going to come out I almost jumped on a Lumia 710 or 900 because it would meet or exceed just about all of my needs in a smartphone. I am glad that I waited for this new batch, but to be honest it was more an issue of not having the money at the time rather than wanting to wait.Not everyone wants/needs the over complicated Android system, some of us just want our phones to be phones. But we also do not live in the apple ecosystem. WP7/8 strikes a nice balance between usefulness, and simplicity. I love hardware, and playing with settings, and figuring stuff out, but I am also an adult with responsibilities and if I had an Android I would simply break the poor thing just in messing with it, and I simply cannot afford down time with my phone. I feel no such compulsion to mess with the Windows Phones that I have played with, and where I would find that unacceptable in a PC or laptop, I find as a plus for my phone because for me it is an appliance that simply needs to work, not a device that is 1 of many that can replace it if I break it.[/citation]

If it is discontinued within the first year then it is not a smartphone, just like Blackberries and iPad 3.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]andy_newton[/nom]If it is discontinued within the first year then it is not a smartphone, just like Blackberries and iPad 3.[/citation]
There are tons of Androids running on older software versions. Are they all non-smartphones? The Win7 phones are still just as good or better than when they were purchased, so what if a newer software version was released.

I was just talking with a guy on his 3rd Win7 phone who was very happy with it. Granted, the reason he was on his 3rd was that the HTC models kept breaking, but his Samsung was awesome by his words.

Win XP isn't worthless, neither is Win Vista and neither are Win 7 phones.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Wait...hasn't 7.8 already been out for a really long time?

My friend's had it on his Lumia 800 since June! Or at least, that's what he told me.

Don't know. :eek: maybe that was just a minor patch and he thought it was 7.8...

andy_newton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]Whatever crack you are smoking, please lay off. How does a devices lifespan have anything to do with it being a smartphone? Your argument is so invalid it needs to be aborted. Go away.[/citation]

Less than a year timespan means the device is not smart enough, much like (again) Blackberries & iPad3.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]andy_newton[/nom]Less than a year timespan means the device is not smart enough, much like (again) Blackberries & iPad3.[/citation]
I really don't think you, of all people, should be judging what is smart enough.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Not directly related to WP 7.8, but I was at Microsoft Campus Days this week. From the keynotes one thing became very obvious - they don't have any focus on desktops in any way. They want the phones, tablets and desktops to all look the same and do the same. So PC gamers and cad professionals ... well don't expect much emphasis on graphics.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]Not directly related to WP 7.8, but I was at Microsoft Campus Days this week. From the keynotes one thing became very obvious - they don't have any focus on desktops in any way. They want the phones, tablets and desktops to all look the same and do the same. So PC gamers and cad professionals ... well don't expect much emphasis on graphics.[/citation]
Yeah felt the same after their Win 8 launch press conference...

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]Not directly related to WP 7.8, but I was at Microsoft Campus Days this week. From the keynotes one thing became very obvious - they don't have any focus on desktops in any way. They want the phones, tablets and desktops to all look the same and do the same. So PC gamers and cad professionals ... well don't expect much emphasis on graphics.[/citation]

My question is how much focus are we honestly expecting from them? Honestly most CAD programs work directly with the CPU/GPU and less with the OS nowadays. I think as long as nothing in the OS structurally interferes with that ability, it's up to the program developers to make a competent, effective, program. They haven't been doing that for a while, so I don't really see how Win 8 would change that.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Why does Microsoft call it Windows Phone 7 if it isn't compatible to Windows Mobile 6 in any way. And why do they call it Windows Phone 8 if it isn't compatible to Windows Phone 7 in any way???

How about a class action suite for cheating the people????

b23h

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
I am looking forward to Window Phone 7.8. I was on prepaid Virgin Mobile with a Motorola running Android 2.3. As I saw no indication that Virgin was going to get a Windows Phone, I switched to T-Mobile's Monthly 4G plan and bought a HTC HD7 from CowBoom. I have been very happy with the phone, less so with T-Mobile.

Overall I wanted to support Windows Phone so that carriers and developers would take it seriously. I would like to see more developer support so that more apps are written for Windows Phone. For instance the Best Buy app in the android market actually allows you to buy items through the app, the same app in the Windows Market does not.

I have found that my Windows Phone interacts very nicely with my Windows Home Server, especially with the addition of Light's Out for the Windows Phone.

Will get a Windows 8 Phone device well after launch, only when non-contract prices drop out of the stratosphere....

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]Zingam_Duo[/nom]Why does Microsoft call it Windows Phone 7 if it isn't compatible to Windows Mobile 6 in any way. And why do they call it Windows Phone 8 if it isn't compatible to Windows Phone 7 in any way???How about a class action suite for cheating the people????[/citation]Windows PHONE, not Windows MOBILE. See, different names? There was no deception. It was made clear from the beginning that WP7 would not be backwards compatible with WM 6.x and earlier. So your idea of an class action lawsuit is silly, and it's also obvious you're from an entitlement background.

Windows Phone 8 runs Windows Phone 7 apps, by the way. But with the WP 7.8 update, even the older devices still have life left in them. They get the UI improvements and new features, including SmartGlass and Xbox Music. One of the common complaints about the existing WP7 UI was that it wastes screen real estate with the thin bar on the right. Well the new UI will recieve no such complaints, plus options for different size tiles will help people set things up just how they want it. There's also a rumor that this update will be made available directly from MS and will bypass carriers.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]DRosencraft[/nom]My question is how much focus are we honestly expecting from them? Honestly most CAD programs work directly with the CPU/GPU and less with the OS nowadays. I think as long as nothing in the OS structurally interferes with that ability, it's up to the program developers to make a competent, effective, program. They haven't been doing that for a while, so I don't really see how Win 8 would change that.[/citation]
The problem isn't that they neglect the cad users a bit, but that their strategy doesn't incorporate devices able to deliver.
The main focus of Microsoft at present is touch this and touch that. You won't see touch in ordinary desktop monitors for years to come. After the (hot chick) from Microsoft Denmark was done with the last keynote speech tuesday, I was left with just one thought in my head : "Do they want us to use Xenserver, a competing terminal server solution by Citrix, for CAD users or what?" cause they have focus all client resources on touch and a uniform experience and all their Hyper-v resources on improving iops instead of enabling gpu passthru like their competator. Thus in short they have no product in forseeable future which delivers performance to platforms.
Your best bet if you want a windows 8 platform is to use an ultrabook with whatever limited quadro or firegl card you can get, or a citrix farm with quadros in it.
Maybe that'll change in two years time, but there's no mention of proper gpu accelleration in hyperv, and there's no mention of any plans to change the licensing rules to enable cloud services like onlive to deliver the rendering platform. Nor does azure deliver anything useful (it's basically a windows hosted hyper-v pool)

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]There are tons of Androids running on older software versions. Are they all non-smartphones? The Win7 phones are still just as good or better than when they were purchased, so what if a newer software version was released.I was just talking with a guy on his 3rd Win7 phone who was very happy with it. Granted, the reason he was on his 3rd was that the HTC models kept breaking, but his Samsung was awesome by his words.Win XP isn't worthless, neither is Win Vista and neither are Win 7 phones.[/citation]

Right on brother, that man was correct, i 1st wanted to get a samsung omnia7 so i ordered it but it would take a while to get to me from the Uk (relative bringing it to east africa) so in the mean time my bro helped me get a HTC evo 3d, which was quite good, but 6 months later when my Omnia7 arrive i remember being blown away at the sheer simplicity and efficiency of the OS compared to my android which a had gingerbread at the time, the phone itself felt better than the HTC, it was just a better phone in every sense, even now after my htc has ICS update i still prefer my Omnia7, cant wait for WP7.8!!!

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
[citation][nom]andy_newton[/nom]Whoever gets excited over Windows Mobile 7.8 needs a brain transplant. (Your device is worthless by design since Day 1)[/citation]
If it will be the same as your brain, then I do not want it...

Status
Not open for further replies.