Solved! Windows xp cannot run under safe mode

nath44

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Hello,
i had a corrupted windows xp on my dell laptop..used the reinstallation cd home edition service pack 2...all went through ok except when now it is trying to re-start but i keep getting the 'windows XP setup cannot run under Safemode. Setup will restart now" message..so then i press ok and it just repeats the cycle..i have tried all the other boot options but it always comes up with the same message...now i don't know what to do...please help
thanks

Solution
If this were happening to me I'd just ahead and do the clean install. If you don't already, it's always a good idea to keep a backup of the c: drive by using tools such as Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image.
G

If it won't run in Safe Mode, it's likely screwed. You might try removing some accessory cards -- PCI wireless adapter or sound card for example but this probably isn't the issue. Have you added memory recently, if so remove the new piece.

But sounds like a re-install job.

nath44

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
no new memory added..run the tests all ok...after completion of the reinstallation cd that came with the pc..it tries to restart, which it does until the message comes up as noted above...

flabbergasted

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
If this were happening to me I'd just ahead and do the clean install. If you don't already, it's always a good idea to keep a backup of the c: drive by using tools such as Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image.

Solution