Windows xp key mapping

Sirenita

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
I have a Dell Latitude running Windows XP. Because I suck as a typist, I am always hitting accidental key combinations that do unexpected things. I never want to navigate away from what I'm writing by using a key combination. Where can I learn these mappings and disable the unwanted ones?

thephilly

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Can you be a little more specific about what shortcuts? A lot of key combination's are stored within the application you are running. i.e. Shift+Tab Ctrl+Shift+Tab in mozilla to navigate open tabs. These are generally disabled/enabled in the options of the program or through add-ons in the Firefox case.

If they are windows shortcuts see the following:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=216893

Usual warning's for editing the registry apply, back-up the registry before you make changes.

If they are function combination's its likely the companies software bundled with the machine.

Sirenita

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Thanks, thephilly. I'll check out the microsoft link. I don't know whose key combinations they are because they are accidental. I do know that the same problem occurs in various applications, both in mozilla and IE, which is why I think it's an XP thing.

You have to edit the registry to change key mapping? Who thought of that?

Again, thanks for your help.