Wiretape: Ultra-Thin Solution For Cable Clutter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Being flat with no twisted pairs for impedance and no real EMI canceling characteristics, I kinda have doubts about it's performance. I know flat ribbon cables are used all the time inside electronics for short distances, but running from a TV to a receiver carrying 1080p might be interesting to see how well it performs. They twist pairs and shield cables for a reason.

Mavroxur that is absolutely true. Also of note is that speakerwire with the same clear covering & bare flat wires has been available for years now. It seems that this company is just trying to copy that concept and make money when it comes to hdmi & other cords.

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
The only time I can see this making any difference is in home cinema setups where you have to run long runs of cable up walls, around room or under carpets, as mentioned, it looks like this is where you might encounter most problems like signal loss or accidental damage.

Personally I would go the whole-hog and bury proper cables in wall channels, or at the very least just hide them in those plastic screw/stick-on cable channels.

G

OMG ribbon wire is totally revolutionary, new, different, unique, and modern!

They should name it iRibbon and charge $100 a foot.

littlec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]mavroxur[/nom]Being flat with no twisted pairs for impedance and no real EMI canceling characteristics, I kinda have doubts about it's performance. I know flat ribbon cables are used all the time inside electronics for short distances, but running from a TV to a receiver carrying 1080p might be interesting to see how well it performs. They twist pairs and shield cables for a reason.[/citation]
Yup that's the first thing they teach you when you work with cables.

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]If I have a wall mounted TV and a Blurau player below, I dont want trunking or a cable running up to it.For the sake of 2m of Wiretape that I can paint or wallpaper over I think it will be just fine.[/citation]

Yep, you can put your nicely painted wiretape right next to the power cord....

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]I have a dual power socket fitted at face height behind the wall mounted TV.Unfortunately the plasterboard isn't deep enough for me to push a DVD player into it and digging it out again to embed HDMI wires would need me to redecorate - F-THAT![/citation]

Seems like a pretty limited target market - people who had the foresight to embed power cables, but not AV cables when redesigning / redecorating their rooms.....

timobkg

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
It would be useful for people like me, who have their consoles in the living room connected via ethernet to their routers in the office. Running 100ft of ethernet cable under carpet is a huge pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.