Woman Sues Google for Bad Directions, Accident

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I'm so sick of people always looking for an easy payday. The lawyers that bring these lawsuits are nothing but overeducated parasites. They contribute NOTHING to the fabric of society and only exist to facilitate extortion by fiat.

GPS based roadmaps are notorious for giving less than ideal directions (and in some cases leading you completely in the wrong direction). I remember one trip where we were trying to get to camping area in southern Colorado. Microsoft Streets and Trips directed us to this one route that would have us there in no time. Unfortunately, after climbing a winding mountain route, we discovered that the last few miles of the route was a foot path and not accessible to vehicles. Great... back out to the highway and a 150 mile detour to get to the campsite. Now it's something that we look back on and laugh about.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
I knew there was a disclaimer, so I did a Google Map search, asking for directions. Here's the disclaimer right under the directions:

These directions are for planning purposes only. You may find that construction projects, traffic, weather, or other events may cause conditions to differ from the map results, and you should plan your route accordingly. You must obey all signs or notices regarding your route.

I guess they have to add another line, "Please also use common sense, or purchase some if you have none."

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
No different than the people who drive into cornfields or rivers when their GPS tells them there's road there...

Sometimes I wonder how these people ever make it into adulthood...

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Users of Google Maps are warned to use caution. The drawback to this case is that the warning doesn't appear on the mobile version
of Google Maps (in this case her BlackBerry smartphone), only on the PC.

LOL Forget my previous comment I guess. Missed this part of the article.

Still, the woman needs a lesson in using her own brain. You don't just walk down the middle of a street.

G

Were her eyes closed. Did it look safe. Did google push her or something. Stupid people should have to put up a percentage of the court costs if they are held liable for them and lawyers should be held accountable too.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
I hope she wins, software that can result in a death or dangerous situation has different criteria then consumer apps.

This would be a wake up call to google to pay attention what the hell they are doing.

Would you not be pissed if you found out some highschool intern was designing flight software in a passenger jet? Hell yes.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Ciuy[/nom]Only in the USA ............... number 1 dumbest country on this planet.[/citation]

Not true, I was born and raised a U.S. citizen, and at age 16 I can easily say I am far more intelligent than this woman as I generally disobey 50% of my GPS's orders when I know a slightly better route.

Don't just judge the 1-5% of completely clueless people in a country because they make the news when the fairly normal or "Average" 95% are absolutely fine.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]I hope she wins, software that can result in a death or dangerous situation has different criteria then consumer apps.This would be a wake up call to google to pay attention what the hell they are doing.Would you not be pissed if you found out some highschool intern was designing flight software in a passenger jet? Hell yes.[/citation]
The "software" that was lacking in this case was the brain that this person supposedly has and the ability to use it!

I guess since it doesn't come with an instruction manual she was totally lost about how to think about "self-preservation!"

subgum

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
It's no surprise that she couldn't find a proper walking route. Utah's city development doesn't take pedestrians into account very often since the majority of the population there own cars, or have easy access to bus or "trax" public transportations.

And regardless of how poorly the software may or may not be, this woman is just plain stupid. I hope she loses a ton of money trying to sue and has to return to reality.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
[citation][nom]hellswaters[/nom]Google will probably just settle out of court in order to avoid the majority of the bad press.[/citation]
Why? SHE is the bad press here...

G

"Would you not be pissed if you found out some highschool intern was designing flight software in a passenger jet? Hell yes."

Some high school interns are smarter than a lot of engineers. Common sense cannot be taught, a degree is not the whole picture

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]marsipan[/nom]Did google push her or something.[/citation]

It must have been that guy from the April Fools 'Wave' commercial. Find it on YouTube and watch it.

thorimmortal

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
she went from daly ave. past her destination of prospect ave. and some how made it to 224, the two streets are clearly marked they look farther apart on the map than they actually are, and its not like its a major highway, I wonder what the hell she was doing in that area any way, there's not too much over there. Probably wandering around drunk, If your familiar with the area its clearly a total lack of common sense. from what the local news says this was the intersection, http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=40.640079,-111.493335&spn=0,0.003074&z=19&layer=c&cbll=40.640081,-111.493445&panoid=rmfyQ5ZZsVDUCFWbLnbJpQ&cbp=12,105.9,,0,5

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
ITS A GADGET
your also suposed to use your brain

if your that daft to walk down the centre of a road you should be in a mental hospital
i rest my case

drakenviator

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
I've been considering law school now for a few years. It's always at the back of my mind, never really a firm decision more of a 'someday' kind of thing. I'll be honest it is because of people like this that I have my doubts if the legal profession is something I want to do or not. Yet at the same time I would love the chance to rip into this ambulance chaser, and see if I couldn't get him kicked out of the Bar Association.

Status
Not open for further replies.