Woman Sues Google for Bad Directions, Accident

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]I hope she wins, software that can result in a death or dangerous situation has different criteria then consumer apps.This would be a wake up call to google to pay attention what the hell they are doing.Would you not be pissed if you found out some highschool intern was designing flight software in a passenger jet? Hell yes.[/citation]

I dont know how you were raised, but after seeing a comment like that I'm under the impression you think it's everyone elses fault for every stupid thing you may have done in your life.

I was just brought up differently to take personal responsibility for my chosen actions I guess. But... ignorance is bliss, and why blame yourself when it's cool to find another reason for yet another entitlement.

hellswaters

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Hilarion[/nom]Why? SHE is the bad press here...[/citation]

Yea, but if they go to court, then there are daily updates, and a lot more exposure. Just saying 'here is money, now leave' you limit it to just a single article which people will forget about the next day.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
The car driver should sue her for endangering his driving and causing an accident. Clearly a pedestrian should not be walking down the center of the road.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]I hope she wins, software that can result in a death or dangerous situation has different criteria then consumer apps.This would be a wake up call to google to pay attention what the hell they are doing.Would you not be pissed if you found out some highschool intern was designing flight software in a passenger jet? Hell yes.[/citation]

Are you kidding? The woman walked down the middle of the highway- are you telling me google forced her to do that? Anyone that isn't completely stupid or seriously mentally handicapped should know that isn't a good idea to walk down the middle of the road, much less a highway! The software was in no way responsible for her stupidity. why doesn't she go on and just sue RIM as well since her blackberry was what she used to find the directions. Oh- and sue the city as well for building the road, and the manufacturer of the car that hit her since it didn't feel like a soft downy pillow. COME ON! Its her own stupid fault. People need to take responsibility for their own actions rather than blaming their stupidity on someone else.

sunzeal

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
i sue ink company coz ink is light blue instead of dark blue.

I need 10000$ compensation for wasting my time and paper and efforts to write some words.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Apparently this is true:
Programmers and the universe is always in a constant struggle. Programmers try to make the best idiot-proof software and the universe is always try to build the best idiot. Unfortunately, it seems like the universe is winning.

I don't remember who first said that, but it seems true, esp. in this case.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
[citation][nom]deltatux[/nom]Apparently this is true:I don't remember who first said that, but it seems true, esp. in this case.[/citation]
Lol- I like it.

G

djtronika is right, this country (and yes I am a citizen) has abolished any relation to "common sense" when it comes to the law. Why you ask? Because lawmakers cannot quantify what "common sense" is.

So, you could potentially sue your left foot because it caused you to stumble. Even though "you" as a person should have the "common sense" to move said left foot appropriately.

Also, don't blame the lawyers, they just know how to work the screwed up system that is already in place.

Hot coffee anyone?

enzo matrix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
As much as I agree with the author of this article on the issue, his personal opinions should be left out of the article to avoid bias. This isn't his personal forum.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
hahahahahahahaha this lady..lmao!

[citation][nom]Ciuy[/nom]Only in the USA ............... number 1 dumbest country on this planet.[/citation]
Boy, if only we knew what country you originated from..may the bashing then begin

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
It doesn't take a rocket surgon to figure out that the walking directions aren't the greatest on google, ffs you can get "walking"(swimming) directions from New York New York to Paris France! someone going to sue cuz they get wet trying to follow those?

Railgun1369

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]buddhav1[/nom]do people get stupider every day?[/citation]
[citation][nom]loneninja[/nom]You shouldn't even need to ask, the answer is yes. lol[/citation]

I think he answered his own question. :p

G

Only in the USA, but for a different reason: Only in the US one can be THAT dumb and still make enough money to spend on gadgets.

chriscornell

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Wow - This is like that episode of The Office, where Michael Scott drives his car into a lake, because his navigator tells him to turn...

How stupid can you get....

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]rbarone69[/nom]2 words: Natural selection...[/citation]
We have created so many laws "for the children" that natural selection is no longer working. Its basically Idiocracy in the making.

Status
Not open for further replies.