Would a soundcard improve headset quality?

GillyH

Estimable
May 27, 2015
Hello,

I have a Kingston Hyper X II headset. While good, I was expecting it to be better based off the hype or good reviews for it. I am debating on whether or not I want to get a more premium headset in the future. For now, I was thinking maybe I should add a soundcard to my computer and maybe it would improve the audio quality in my headset. Would it? Or not? Is it worth it to? Thank you

Solution
Hello... *** General knowledge educational note... Standard CD Audio/sample format is 16 bit 44.1khz... 5.1 and 7.1 is a Multi speaker surround sound use terms, and the .1 means using a Subwoofer... I typically work with stereo 2.0 with my headphones and 24 bit 48000 Hz audio sound card output setting... human ears typically can only hear a high freq of 20000 Hz.

What I would suggest is having both options open for you to use... and picking up a Good brand and model stereo 2.0 headphones to the MB Realtek analog output, for use for different Audio situations ( some Software/games do not provide a 5.1/7.1 audio files )... and a Sound comparison for your ears to be Happy B ) I Own 4 set of headphones B )...

GillyH

Estimable
May 27, 2015
Hello, thanks for the reply. My budget is flexible up to $300-400, but I believe good headsets go for less. What do you mean by drive them? I do not have a soundcard or amplifier on my PC. Would that help? I just plugged my Hyper X II's to my computer via USB. Apparently, it has an external soundcard (I think, not sure and I am not sure if that is the same as above) but it has volume controls on the cable. Thanks for the reply!

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... 3) what of kind Music are they for... Do you want extra Bass response performance or Flat accurate to the material?
4) you just plugging into your computer MB?

*** That is the "techy" term for a AMP/Device that moves the speaker... doing some work with something.

OH... look in your Device manager... you should have a Audio chip on the MB... That has been standard for years.

Yes you will be able to hear clear Sound using a 1/8" 1/4" headphones, To your MB onboard analog connectons instead.

GillyH

Estimable
May 27, 2015
I want to use them mostly for games on my desktop pc. I wont listen to music much on them since I listen to music elsewhere. Yeah, I have them plugged into my computer by a front USB port, so I assume to the MB. Thanks

on my older sabertooth z77mb i had the realteck 8000 chipset. with stock headphones the sound was not bad but not as crisp as i would have liked. i was lucky micro center near me had the soundbalster recon 3d sound cards on sale for 30.00 (remanufactored cards). the unit has a built in head phone amp. first time i plugged in my head phone the sound was louder and crisper the the mb stock chip. some of the newer mb and sound cards let you change the op amp chip so you can get the warmth or sound from the sound card you want.

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... +1^ I agree smorizio... I'm plugging my Realtek MB outs to a TV, 50 watt and 100watt recievers... And I'm happier... I have been around since the sb16 to the audigy ( was standard build practice)... and this Free Realtek chip is a bonus, the DAC's in them are good to my ears... im very happy with all "free" options... and multi output routing for sending to another TV/room is the Real "tek" Bonus with it.
I've seen Wedding Dj's use it from a laptop through some of my JBL speakers and this http://www.qsc.com/live-sound/products/power-amplifiers/rmxa-series/rmx-1450a/

*** I had three isa midi/audio sound cards running Win 3.1 i386... you had to manually set all the IRQ's.

The Realtek will Could be better for him than the USB "Kingston Hyper X II headset"

GillyH

Estimable
May 27, 2015
Thanks, Iron. Yeah, I would prefer a microphone on them. If there is a much better one without a mic then I would consider it. I can always get a separate mic but would rather have it together.

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... 6) Where would you like to buy them from?

And did you check or will you post your device manager Sound.video and game controllers floder open? for us.
Or could you post you MB model brands information too? so we have information right here for you.

GillyH

Estimable
May 27, 2015
Hello, thanks for the replies.

My audio chipset is the Realtek ALC3863-CG HD and supports 5.1. For microphone under recording, the highest MHZ I can do is 48000Hz DVD quality. The Hyper X Cloud II has an external soundcard and the volume controls say 7.1 on it. I do notice a difference when I press the 7.1 button. I am not sure if I am getting the full 7.1 since my mother board is 5.1 but the Hyper X II has an external soundcard. Thanks

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... *** General knowledge educational note... Standard CD Audio/sample format is 16 bit 44.1khz... 5.1 and 7.1 is a Multi speaker surround sound use terms, and the .1 means using a Subwoofer... I typically work with stereo 2.0 with my headphones and 24 bit 48000 Hz audio sound card output setting... human ears typically can only hear a high freq of 20000 Hz.

What I would suggest is having both options open for you to use... and picking up a Good brand and model stereo 2.0 headphones to the MB Realtek analog output, for use for different Audio situations ( some Software/games do not provide a 5.1/7.1 audio files )... and a Sound comparison for your ears to be Happy B ) I Own 4 set of headphones B )

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/K240S popular low cost performance... semi-open ~no sweating ears in high temp/humid use.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HD280Pro I have set if these... closed back ~ you cant hear people and they can't hear your play back sounds.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MDR7506... popular low cost performance ... closed back.

for $100 you can have what the main stream Audio people are using... you can spend more or less TOO!!! some brands and models become a personal taste, and "Must Have" Standard to one's ears... It is a learning curve for someone that depend on them for Work and pleasure.

*** you will need to pick a table/monitor mount microphone... get a 1/8" analog connector and NOT a USB microphone... use the Realtek microphone input then when using the 2.0 headphones... switching your Output in the "SOUNDS" APP between them for a Quick change B )

*** There are some models with coil and straight cables... determine your cabling and routing from where you listen and need to plug it in... there is a purpose and use for each type... and a coiled/retracting can give you walking freedom, But can get in the way of your Guitar/Bass neck... or "Hang" up too... a straight cable can feel lighter and allow permanent mounting or taping, and tripping hazard.

BUT always Trust your EARs... You are on your Personal Music/Sound Journey in Life... Enjoy the ride... and if it doesn't Sound right to you look again. B )

Solution

GillyH

Estimable
May 27, 2015
Thanks for the reply! Do you have any suggestions for any headsets with a microphone on it with the same performance as above? Maybe you know which ones use certain drivers or something. I am starting to think that is the best option. There is a good deal for the 280 with a mic on Amazon, but it is a standalone mic which is a pain to mute, etc. I will consider these too. Thank you!!

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... They will be $$$ more... it is how I do it... You mute by opening that speaker icon bottom right "Volume mixer", and press the Blue speaker icon under the Sound device volume control... So muting your MIC, in this setup is a "mouse click away"... Not a problem... try it now. If your $10 Skype MIC dies.... then you still have your $100 headphones... see the logic here? And also I CAN take a drink of my beverage and not spill and keep bumping the Mic and I'm NOT sending loud noises through the internet to your friends ears... B O

I will provide the info for you, give me some time here... B )