Would surround sound work with a 15ft by 12ft room with a 7ft couch?

stuffstuff

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
Would that work? The couch is going across the 15ft side, with the tv 8ft in front of it. People sometimes sit on both sides of the couch at the same time, so would this work? Or should I get 2.1 speakers? I'm looking to spend $20-50. I'm planning on getting the panasonic p50u50; would $20-50 speakers be better than its integrated sound?

ideally you would put the television against the wall and have space behind the couch. this lets you put the rear channels behind you. of course the entrance and general room layout could prohibit this.

for $20-50 i hope you like looking through flea markets. you might just get lucky and find an older used htib set in good condition. anything new you buy for this price is most likely crap not worth buying.

i am not sure about the p50u50 but my sony came with decent onboard speakers which i used for a few years without issue. if your budget is tight you may want to use the onboard sound for awhile and save up for a sound system truely worth buying.

if you get surround sound you will need an amp or receiver, speakers, a subwoofer and cables/wires which can cost a bit more. or you can just buy a htib unit for cheaper but realize many do not have many inputs for other perepherals and often build quality is quite a bit lower.

just some ideas.

stuffstuff

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
How much would a sound system that's worth it cost? I would be able to put the rear channel speakers behind the couch, there's room there. I was just worried about the size of the couch. Since people are sitting on both sides of it, would the positioning be correct from both sides? Or does that not matter? And is the logitech z506 good?

what we deem worthwhile to purchase is opinion.

personally i do not like buying junk so my budget ends up having to be expanded to compensate. i also would never buy a htib set as i require additional inputs which are not always provided in such sets. this leaves me with one option: receiver/amp and speakers.

since you are on a tight budget you are most likely looking at an amp and two speakers or a htib. if you get a htib make sure it has the inputs you want.

you can get a great deal on sony floorstanding speakers. you can buy two for about $160-200 and an amp or receiver is going to cost you $50-100. i bought my parents a set years ago and to tell the truth they sound very good even compared with my own $1000 speaker set.

the logitech z506 is meant for computer use. if it uses standard 3.5mm cables you can make it work provided you have adapter cables and a receiver or amp but generally speaking its a substandard arrangement. i would suggest staying with home theater equipment unless you are hooking up a computer in the mix and even then i would suggest home theater equipment if at all possible.

just my opinion of course.

does your cable box have the propper speaker connections? i'm not talking about hdmi, rgb or composite cables here but speaker wire binding posts or plugs for bananna clips. two per speaker.

you dont have to use a receiver. you can most likely make due with an amp provided it works for your setup. a receiver is just nice if you have multiple perepherals.

i'd get floorstanders if you have the space.

TRENDING THREADS