Write Protection on XD Card

Lima Alpha

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Hi All. I am using an olympus M+ XD picture card which has been working fine. Last night I tried to put it into my camera (after dowmloading some pics onto PC) and it comes up that it is write protected. I can still view the pictures on the PC using a card reader, just cant view them on my camera. I want to avoid reformating as I want to keep the images. Help!!! I think the memory card may have a virus as I was using a dodgy hostel computer at the time.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
When you download the pictures, did you view the pictures as well from the card and change the angle of orientation from the PC?

Usually stuff like this locks the flash card from its origin, or if you remove the card without using the “Safely Remove Hardware" instruction. Sometimes after downloading the data using flash cards, the hardware is still in use for a while before it's completely close all the programs that is been using it like the security programs that'll scan your card in the background (silent mode) once plug-in or during transfer.

Unfortunately, there's no other choice but to reformat the card and try to put the pictures back and hope it'll work. :)