WWAN/WPAN/FCM What are they, and can I put a WLAN card in any of them?

Behunin

Estimable
Jun 2, 2015
I recently bought a used dell precision m6400 Laptop, When I opened up the back panel I found some components with nothing installed in them. There are two empty slots, a WWAN slot and a FCM slot. There is also a WPAN card installed next to the WLAN card, my question is what are each of these and can I install a WLAN card into any of them?

Solution
WWAN - Wireless Wide Area Netowrk- Uses Cell towers to connect to Internet. Basically a card that allows you to get access like a cell phone- you need an account with a cell phone company to use this feature. i.e. Sprint, Verizon....

The FCM or flash control module, you can either put it in the wpan slot, or the wwan slot depending on what it says in the manual. DO NOT PUT an FCM into the WLAN slot.

AKA INTEL READY BOOST or TURBO MEMORY.

IMHO its worthless and in rare cases makes things worse.

There are actually three slots for mini cards on the M6400, WWAN, WPAN, & WLAN. Sprint/Verizon card goes in the WWAN slot.

You can put a Turbo Memory Readyboost card in the WPAN slot.

The WLAN can not be put into any slot other than the...
WWAN - Wireless Wide Area Netowrk- Uses Cell towers to connect to Internet. Basically a card that allows you to get access like a cell phone- you need an account with a cell phone company to use this feature. i.e. Sprint, Verizon....

The FCM or flash control module, you can either put it in the wpan slot, or the wwan slot depending on what it says in the manual. DO NOT PUT an FCM into the WLAN slot.

AKA INTEL READY BOOST or TURBO MEMORY.

IMHO its worthless and in rare cases makes things worse.

There are actually three slots for mini cards on the M6400, WWAN, WPAN, & WLAN. Sprint/Verizon card goes in the WWAN slot.

You can put a Turbo Memory Readyboost card in the WPAN slot.

The WLAN can not be put into any slot other than the WLAN slot.

Hope this clears it up for you.

Solution

skippy82877

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2008

TRENDING THREADS