x260 Mini HDMI port does not work

DukeForest

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017
Has anyone else noticed that when connected to a VGA monitor using the Lenovo adaper, the port shuts down. You hear the chime as though it was unplugged. If you reinsert the cable, it will work for a few minutes and disconnect again. The monitor works fine with an L450.
So I sent it in under warranty and they replaced the system board--no help.
Lenovo will not provide any driver support under warranty, even if the drivers are buggy in the factory configuration. You must pay to escalate and have them trouble shoot.
Last Lenovo I will every buy.

Solution
I'm glad to hear that you can use the X260. I recently had a connection problem between my Ideapad Y50 and my ThinkVision X1 monitor, and your situation seems vaguely similar. I'll post the short version, and you can decide if it's any help.

The ThinkVision X1 has a camera mounted on a fancy arm. I can connect the monitor to the Ideapad via the HDMI cable and get 2K resolution without problems, but the laptop wouldn't detect the X1 camera. First I used the included USB 3.0-to-Type-C cable instead of the HDMI cable but I only received audio - no video - and after a minute or so, the connection would fail. After some internet digging, it turned out I had to use both the HDMI and the Type-C adapter cables.

In the Device Manager, the COM...

DukeForest

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017

Yes, the x260 works fine as long as I don't use the mini HDMI port and VGA adapter to connect the second monitor. I can connect the second monitor using the docking station, which has a VGA port on it--not a cheap fix by any means.

I did apply and roll back the video drivers and it did not solve the problem. I can only guess that it is some sort of power management and/or video driver issue. I do know that Lenovo changed the system board because the BitLocker encryption is tied to a chip on the board, and I needed the keys to get the drive unlocked after the repair.

I'm glad to hear that you can use the X260. I recently had a connection problem between my Ideapad Y50 and my ThinkVision X1 monitor, and your situation seems vaguely similar. I'll post the short version, and you can decide if it's any help.

The ThinkVision X1 has a camera mounted on a fancy arm. I can connect the monitor to the Ideapad via the HDMI cable and get 2K resolution without problems, but the laptop wouldn't detect the X1 camera. First I used the included USB 3.0-to-Type-C cable instead of the HDMI cable but I only received audio - no video - and after a minute or so, the connection would fail. After some internet digging, it turned out I had to use both the HDMI and the Type-C adapter cables.

In the Device Manager, the COM 3 port then appeared but with a warning that it needed a new driver. This driver turned out to be something called TUSB3410 and it was made by Texas Instruments back in 2013. On successful installation, the COM 3 port showed up active, and since then I can use the X1 camera in Lenovo's Camera Man app as well as the Camera app in Windows.

The upshot of this experience is that with Lenovo you often have to do all the troubleshooting yourself - Lenovo makes absolutely no mention of this issue or scenario - and I pretty much stumbled upon this solution by chance. Calling Lenovo's customer service for help as a private consumer can be a very disheartening experience, and I regret to say I fully understand your sentiment about Lenovo. That said, I still like their products.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

Solution