Xbox 360 Could be Banned for Motorola Patent Infringement

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zakaron

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Looks like development of the Xbox (Next | 720) just stepped up a notch.If they pushed hard enough, they could launch a new console by time the ban actually takes effect.

"Microsoft argued that such a ban would not be in the public interest as customers would be left with only the PlayStation 3 and Wii as alternatives."

And yes, I lolled at this statement!

lathe26

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
"such a ban would not be in the public interest as customers would be left with only the PlayStation 3 and Wii as alternatives"

That has to be the most bizarre statement I've heard all week.

dauntekong

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Xbox 360 is never big in the international markets anyways. So banning them from selling out to other country makes no difference. It's only high rated in USA.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Why do they have to ban the Xbox360 in the meantime? why can't they just let them continue to sell it and if Microsoft is found guilty later then they just pay even more. The way it is now, if it turns out Microsoft is not guilty then they can sue Motorola for banning them for no good reason. I don't really like Microsoft but people come up with some really silly rules sometimes.

G

Obama Administration banning the XBOX Right on election day. Never happen.

hero1

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Ban the crap out of them. It's time we see what the USA ITC judicial system is made of. They banned and enforce the ban on HTC due to apple claims. Now implement the same thing on a US company, no discrimination here. And why in the world does Obama have to approve? I didn't hear about those steps when it came down to Motorola and HTC getting the ban due to Apple claims. Talk about trying to circumvent the system here. They're found guilty, therefore accept the verdict and pay up don't bring the crap about consumers being affected.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
The conspiracy theorist in me believes Microsoft secretly wants the "current" Xbox 360 banned by the government. Then it would release the "legal" Xbox 360 using a different wireless technology (possibly bluetooth) with accessories that are incompatible with the "banned" version. Everyone would have to buy hardware all over again to play the games they already own. People will blame Microsoft. Microsoft will just say "hey...don't look at us...Motorola (and Google) sued us and Obama signed off on it."

rb420

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
[citation][nom]blurr91[/nom]The conspiracy theorist in me believes Microsoft secretly wants the "current" Xbox 360 banned by the government. Then it would release the "legal" Xbox 360 using a different wireless technology (possibly bluetooth) with accessories that are incompatible with the "banned" version. Everyone would have to buy hardware all over again to play the games they already own. People will blame Microsoft. Microsoft will just say "hey...don't look at us...Motorola (and Google) sued us and Obama signed off on it."[/citation]

You "tinfoil hat" types are always good for a chuckle...

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Doesn't judge Shaw understand that if they take the 360s away, no one would buy the Sony or Wii junk? There would be little to no demand to meet.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
This ban would NOT hold up the 360... not one bit. Having pulled a number of these apart for repairs I can tell you the 'infringing' technology is on one very modular card inside the unit (phat and slim). Deleting the radio is an option but the module could be re-designed with different radio tech and slapped back. The host system wouldn't necessarily notice the difference. Assuming they changed radio tech lets consider the world we live in. There isn't a lot of wiggle room to design a wireless tech without stepping on someone's member with the holy ****-ton of patents out there in the world. You'd almost think Microsoft kept their Controller radio modular with this fact heavily on their mind, knowing a quick redesign could be necessary. One might also conclude with all the givens; Microsoft already has alternate designs for their Controller Radio tested and ready to implement.

So I doubt we'll see a ban. Microsoft will simply come to court with a break down of the infringing radio module and the new one ready to go. Always wondered why they kept the Controller Radio modular... now we know.

But yes... for what they've done to Andriod handset makers, they deserve this grief.

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Who cares by the time they actualy rule on this the next xbox will already be out and they will have designed a new controller.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
blur91...

I really don't think Microsoft wants a redesign so late in the life cycle. While the radio on the console is modular, the Controller, not so much. Controller PCBs are very integrated. I suppose they could simply re-direct that inventory to the EU, though. This would also possibly create two production lines between PAL and NTSC in the hardware realm (as of now it's just final console software that separates the units. But, yes, we'd need new controllers and if you needed to use a new controller on an older 'infringing' console you'd need a USB dongle sticking out of the front of the console (oh how awesome).

Right now Microsoft is probably thinking strategy to thin their controller supply in inventory.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Right, the Android loyalists are up in arms against Microsoft for trying to "racketeer" Android's ecosystem.

I call BS on that. Microsoft invented and patented the methods that is a common UI element nowadays. Blame Google for not being the one that invented it in the first place. Microsoft has all the rights to pursue lawsuits when Google and its OEMs are blatantly using elements of Microsoft's patents in their OS.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

Ummm..... Motorola is an American company (they started in Illinois making car radios) so if they got a ban then it has already happened. Thats irrelevant to the matter.

The problem I see is that they want to ban the product which has sold millions already and will still sell. For the consumer thats not the best thing to do. Look at VALVe and Blizzard. Instead of a long drawn out lawyer war, they settled the matter very fast without any issues. Why can't Motorola and Microsoft do the same? If it truly is a infringement on Motos patents, then they will set an amount for use of the patent (a fair amount, not some insane price) and Microsoft will pay them then pay a small percentage for every unit sold.

That is the best way to hanlde this issue for the consumer. Instead Motorola wants to ban the product and potentially screw thousands of retailers who have already bought the X360 to resell.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
How about we reassess the patent system so companies don't try to sue 7 years after the product was released.

The system doesn't protect the little guy anymore, it just gives way for grand lawsuits like these that only hurt the consumer and halt technological progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.