Xbox 360 Motion Sensing Tech Just Cameras?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I'm on the fence about motion controls. Maybe because it's been done so poorly IMO. If this works maybe it'll be alright but maybe I'm just old school that I like my analog sticks.

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
So I'm running through a level of L4D and I sneeze or scratch some body part, my character will just fall down or stop to admire the horde that is in tow thus ending his life?

I think I will stick with the old school controllers.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]I'm just old school that I like my analog sticks.[/citation]
I'm with you there. The issue with motion controls is it just feels way to gimmicky. I can't imagine a bunch of people setting up huge Virtua Fighter tourneys if they had to make silly gestures to pull off complex combos. It really makes it more difficult to take gaming seriously.

But I could see it being interesting for a few games, but using it as the sole control method is just retarded.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
If the motion sensing is accurate I could enjoy it, however if it is anything like the Wii I will hate it!

In my mind motion sensing = simulation and the Wii SUCKS!

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Now if they make the next Halo game with this tech and comes with a rifle for us to hold, now that would be kick-@$$.

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Its pretty safe to say there are plenty of ways to do this wrong and to do it right. And some titles will be good candidates for a control mech overhaul and some won't.

If its done right and only on the titles that will work well with it, then it will be a good thing. If its done poorly or they try to apply it to EVERYTHING...it will probably be more annoying than anything else.

Still...there is some appeal to being able to remote control media center with your hand...

Though I can picture pushing the cat away and accidentally changing the song etc...

haze4peace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
meh, motion control didn't turn out to be as cool as it sounded. It only works well for a few select games, like wii sports and the like. The one thing i absolutely love though is being able to use the controller as a pointer.

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Well, I think RE4 had a pretty cool controller scheme, analog stick to move, pointing at screen to aim and wiimote moving to execute (some) commands, it worked pretty damn well, Metroid Prime 3 did a good job with the controller too, so I'd say it can be done right.

Nothing will ever replace the Keyboard+Mouse for me though.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i wonder if it comes with a four controller ring to match the infamous RROD. Microsoft doesn't have a good history with releasing near perfect peripherals on their first try, so i think ima hang on to my money until.... the 4th wave of the motion sensing =][jasper is the 4th iteration right?]

soky602

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]rykerabel[/nom]its the ps2 eye toy or the ps3 eye all over again.[/citation]
I'm surprised they didn't mention that in this article.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]rykerabel[/nom]its the ps2 eye toy or the ps3 eye all over again.[/citation]
eyetoy doesn't recognize depth and small hand gestures. if you're going to bring up eyetoy, why not bring up all webcams, camera, polaroids, camera obscura, and pinhole camera? Or how about light and the eyeball?

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]bill gates is your daddy[/nom]The only way I could ever find myself agreeing to something like this is if the character mimics your movements. Nothing beats an online persona grabbing their crotch in victory.[/citation]
Yeah, the issue is that motion controls are simply replacing a button press in so many cases, so you end up with stupid gestures.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Its too late in the current industry to release anything new, so all of these things should be looked at for teh possible next generation, which will probably come 2011, 2012

misnad

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
I guess motion sensing has a lot to grow and just needs a little more time. In any case, if MS is introducing motion sensing then it should be a feature that can be switched on/off since there are many people out there that still love the sensation of pressing on buttons and triggers.. just like me..

Status
Not open for further replies.