Xlr Mic To Mackie Mixer To Pc Sounds Amazing With Audacity But Horrible Though Skype! Please Help!

Morkalater

Estimable
Jan 7, 2016
I bought a Audio-Technica AT2035 and a Behringer Q502USB and a few cables. Returned the piece of shit Behringer and got the Mackie Mix 8. Everything sounds great when recording with Audacity but when I'm in a skype call my friend says it sounds worse then my C920 webcam. Do need to buy a usb audio interface? (but why does it already sound good with Audacity?) Are there options within windows/Skype that need to be changed? We tried Google Hangouts and it sounds horrible too. I'm really upset/frustrated, all help is appreciated.
Pictures: https://goo.gl/photos/oXQLpkgeM3LoBMq36

if your microphone sounds excellent when making recordings, its not the microphone or interface. likely the loss of quality has to do with the program being used and any downgrading in quality it incurs. you might want to check any settings regarding bandwidth or quality.

you're not the only one to have skype and hangouts sound bad on their end when your recording equipment is ideal.

Morkalater

Estimable
Jan 7, 2016

When I plug my cable into the front panel audio it sound great over skype! Just found this out.

you are right, that does sound bad and from what you've listed so far it sounds odd to me.

how is recording on the front jack?
how much different is the audio on the front jack with voip? i've heard the bad but not the good.
are you speaking in the same volume from the same distance away?
are your quality settings set the same between the front and rear?
are you using headphones or speakers and if speakers do you have them set to play your own voice as you speak?

Morkalater

Estimable
Jan 7, 2016
I fixed it, the issue was that I had the gain on the Mack Mix 8 set to the center which I assumed was default as soon as I turn it all the way to the left my friend on the other end of the Skype call noticed a huge deference in quality. My audio setup now sounds very premium throw Audacity and Skype.