Yahoo is Suing Facebook Over 10 Patents

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
'Patented technology'

I assume that means they have actually copied the code in implementing their ideas.

Else GTFO.

You can't patent a fucking idea that anyone can have, given there are billions of people, it is entirely likely more than 1 person may have an 'idea'

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]'Patented technology'I assume that means they have actually copied the code in implementing their ideas.Else GTFO.You can't patent a fucking idea that anyone can have, given there are billions of people, it is entirely likely more than 1 person may have an 'idea'[/citation]
Yea unless Facebook implemented this in the exact same way as Yahoo did then I don't see how they can sue. I can see suing if the code is identical but suing for a similar implementation of different code isn't right, the idea might be the same but the way to go about it are different and that is what is patentable the way you make it work not the fact that you thought it up.

applerocks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Wait shouldnt they be suing or be sued by Apple? I thought Apple had to be the plaintiff or defendant in all patent lawsuits now days.

aoneone

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
yay, so the judge will rule in favor of yahoo; now facebook is a mess, yahoo never made it to the top, we are all going down the s- hole together! only in america! god bless the united states of america! dont forget to sue over the spilled hot coffee too k? ^_^

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Those who can compete, do. Those that can't, sue.[/citation]

RAMBUS is an excellent model for those that can't compete...

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Yahoo will win a peace of facebook, otherwise you can see facebook shut down. Go at it Yahoo, don't ket punks take your pattents and make money off them.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Funny how they wait until they are about to go public. Facebook has been around for years now, and now all of the sudden, yahoo wants a piece. Did yahoo "Purposefully" wait for them to be worth millions before they decided to sue? I like yahoo, but if your gonna sue, being strategic like this isn't suing for patent rights, it's suing exclusively to make money, and that just doesn't seem right to me. Like they knew facebook was gonna be huge, so they waited for facebook to do all the legwork, and now they want a piece of the pie.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jaber2[/nom]Yahoo will win a peace of facebook[/citation]
No they won't, when you are a $100 billion company and 16% of the worlds population are your customer base you can keep things like this going for years until eventually Yahoo expires painfully. If they wanted to be relevant so badly they should have taken Microsofts offer when it was still on the table.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Those who can compete, do. Those that can't, sue.[/citation]

Apple sues people all the time, but they're the largest tech company atm. I'd say that's competing.

tramit

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
[citation][nom]aoneone[/nom]yay, so the judge will rule in favor of yahoo; now facebook is a mess, yahoo never made it to the top, we are all going down the s- hole together! only in america! god bless the united states of america! dont forget to sue over the spilled hot coffee too k? ^_^[/citation]

You know there is some more depth to the spilled hot coffee scenario, right?
McDonald was sued because they were purposely heating the coffee up to ridiculously high temperatures so that they could leave stacks of them on the counter longer. They were warned not to do that and many times the temperatures of the coffee were unsafe to even sip. It was not just a simple spill situation. The spill could literally cause severe intensities of burns at which normally warm/hot coffees could not produce. So the settlement ended with them labeling and eventually abolishing that practice. Heaven forbid that they pour the coffee out when you order it instead of placing numerous hot cups on the counter to save time and money at the expense of our safety.

tramit

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
[citation][nom]applerocks[/nom]Wait shouldnt they be suing or be sued by Apple? I thought Apple had to be the plaintiff or defendant in all patent lawsuits now days.[/citation]

It seems like you made an account just to troll with corresponding name to match.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]'Patented technology'I assume that means they have actually copied the code in implementing their ideas.Else GTFO.You can't patent a fucking idea that anyone can have, given there are billions of people, it is entirely likely more than 1 person may have an 'idea'[/citation]
Wrong!!! If I have an idea to open a restaurant called McDongles with a big yellow "M" outside my restaurants, and serve the Big Smack as a feature sandwich, guess what? I'm slapped with a lawsuit and will loose big time. Even if I can prove beyond any doubt that I never heard of McDonalds, that is irrelevant. They own certain intellectual properties and anything that could be confused with their intellectual property, regardless of how I came up with a similar idea on my own.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007

I'm not saying your wrong but sadly the patent system is flawed and sees it otherwise. You can come up with a brilliant idea way ahead of its time and run into a patent office and have it legally yours. You can then turn around and sue the ones who also comes up with it later and makes the idea reality.

At the moment it is legal within the United States to patent genes and it has already has been done and continues to. This can greatly interfere with medical advances for treatments. If you think the patent system is flawed now just wait until a cure for breast cancer is found and unable to be distributed as it interferes with the patent on the gene.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
Well whatdoya know. He's a story about a lawsuit that doesn't mention or involve Apple. Couldn't care less about Facebook though....hope Yahoo nails 'em.

brewspy

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]Wrong!!! If I have an idea to open a restaurant called McDongles with a big yellow "M" outside my restaurants, and serve the Big Smack as a feature sandwich, guess what? I'm slapped with a lawsuit and will loose big time. Even if I can prove beyond any doubt that I never heard of McDonalds, that is irrelevant. They own certain intellectual properties and anything that could be confused with their intellectual property, regardless of how I came up with a similar idea on my own.[/citation]

billybobser is correct. this is code he is talking about, not letter shifting of another company's products or logos

Status
Not open for further replies.