Yahoo Pixel Density Filter to Fight Image Spam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]erdinger[/nom]Like the first executed murderer stopped all others from murdering? Yeah right[/citation]
I guarantee you there would be a whole lot more murders if the penalty was a light as the penalty for spamming is. You get my point...

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
It seems like alot of their logic is based on the assumption that a banner, ad, "spam image" has a background that is fairly solid. Wonder how it would do on an image that has alot of different colors and gradients.

thecripp

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
[citation][nom]koga73[/nom]It seems like alot of their logic is based on the assumption that a banner, ad, "spam image" has a background that is fairly solid. Wonder how it would do on an image that has alot of different colors and gradients.[/citation]

Not much, the spammers are going to change their images, then yahoo will have to update the code, and the war against spam will continue.

slothy89

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
will it be like the program that was meant to filter pr0n images? And identified a portrait of G W Bush as pr0n? lol..

I'd say it would be about as successful as that.. Couldn't they just run an OCR scan on the image? Most spam images have text on them... Surely any decent OCR algorithm could read it? And then just apply the normal text spam filters as before.. Cheaper, simpler, existing technology... Why waste money on something that wont work properly?

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
pixel thresholding analysis is done by a person watching the image and answering yes or no to the question "is image a spam?"

tonitelaoag

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
i like this news, it shows that yahoo has still a lot of good and talented people left in there. i am a loyal yahoo mail user, keep up the r&d

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]thecripp[/nom]Not much, the spammers are going to change their images, then yahoo will have to update the code, and the war against spam will continue.[/citation]

The worst part is that with news stories like this the spammers get advanced notice to "yeah, thats why the email is/will be getting more bouncebacks or blocks!"

Eh...

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
So how long until they add this to yahoo messenger and it's chat rooms? Their was actually a time when chat rooms were somewhat popular before the rise of social networks like drop "the" facebook and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.