Solved! Yamaha AVR sound is less than TV speakers

abhilashkrishn

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
I have a setup of the Yamaha RX-V 485 AVR and NS-P41 speakers, however the sound output is very low. Even the inbuilt TV speakers produce louder sound than my AVR+speaker setup. I need to set it to -20db to hear descent sound. Is this normal or anything wrong with my setup. Does NS-P41 support this receiver? If I need to replace the speaker, can you please suggest a good model thats compatible with rx-v 485?

Solution
Check the level of the speakers in the AVR speaker set up menu. If they are all set below 0db then turn up them up so the highest is at zero and the others have been turned up that same amount.
Don't be afraid to go higher than -20 on the receiver main volume control. The TV speakers should not be on at the same time as the AVR and you should not adjust the volume with the TV but with the receiver.

kerberos_20

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
well your speakers have 30watts under 6ohms, and u running it with 8ohm amp which requires more current for your amp...maybe that amp cant provide such current, but i wouldnt be lookin at fault with your amp, i have rx-v385 (5x100w) which shouldnt be any different from yours and it can drive my loudspeakers at pretty loud volumes (12floor building can hear it xD)

abhilashkrishn

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

Thank you for the reply. Then, I suspect my NS-P41 is faulty. How to confirm it?
Also, can you tell me which speakers you are using now? Can you please suggest me a good speaker system which is compatible.

Check the level of the speakers in the AVR speaker set up menu. If they are all set below 0db then turn up them up so the highest is at zero and the others have been turned up that same amount.
Don't be afraid to go higher than -20 on the receiver main volume control. The TV speakers should not be on at the same time as the AVR and you should not adjust the volume with the TV but with the receiver.

Solution

abhilashkrishn

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

Front left and right speakers set to -7db by YPAO. Shall I change it to higher?
When I am switching TV speakers to HDMI (ARC), the TV audio is routed to AVR. At this moment, I can see that my TV inbuild speakers are louder than the sound coming from my setup.

abhilashkrishn

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

What is the volume level you are using?

abhilashkrishn

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

Thank you. Let me try that.