Yamaha receiver issue

ryfry

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
One of my neighbors is having an issue with his current speaker set up. He has a 50ish inch lg tv with a yamaha receiver and speakers. The receiver is the HTR-6130. In his set up, he has a his a 5.1 set of speakers hooked up to the receiver, the receiver has the ability to switch between Front channel A and a B channel. Switching channels only allows him to turn off the front left and right speakers (which are plugged into front channel a). When he switches from A to channel B, like I said his front speakers turn off and the signal goes to a 4 channel rocketfish channel selector. He uses the channel selector for two speakers in different rooms in his basement and two speakers outside. His problem is, when he turns on channel B the center speaker and surround speakers are still playing. He has to turn the sound system up rather high to get decent play back from the outdoor speakers which make the indoor speakers ungodly loud. Basically what we are trying to do is be able to turn off the indoor speakers but keep the outdoor speakers on. Is there anyways we can do this? Would another channel selector work? How does the whole ohms thing work (i dont know too much about speakers) We were also thinking a shelf stereo receiver may work and we would only have the two out door speakers being attached. Any help is much appreciated.

If you select stereo mode instead of surround when you use the additional speakers that will shut off the center and rears. I will leave the sub on though. If the sub has speaker terminals on it you can connect it in parallel to the front A speakers and set the receiver speaker menu to front large, no sub. Then it will turn the front speakers and sub off when you turn off speaker A.
The other solutions are to replace the receiver with new one with 2nd zone capability or add an additional receiver or integrated amp just for the remote speakers.

ryfry

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011

Thanks for the help! I am going tell him to try stereo mode when he is in channel B.